Antifreeze leakage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze leakage

Graxall
09-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Ok now i got a low coolant message a month ago so i put some in, every 3 days it says low again so i just let it go maybe thinkin its buggin out but i check n its outta coolant...its weird..i put more in...same happenes...weirdest part is theres no coolant on my driveway or anything but today i was putting more in and saw a leak somewhere in my engine..not sure where its from cuz im not good iwht engines, heres the pcis of the leak..
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/graxall/leak2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/graxall/leak.jpg

coupe
09-14-2005, 02:57 PM
LIM leak, bummer, its not a question of if, its a question of when, it will get you all.

Graxall
09-14-2005, 03:10 PM
wats this mean? lol how should i go about fixing it, how bad is it? i need info please sir lol

digitalballz
09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
you should see your local mechanic, or whoever fixes your car. Its gonna be around $700 I think. luckily mine went under warranty. Dont know if you bought an extended plan or what. So good luck!!!

Mike Jung
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
LIM = Lower Intake Manifold

LIM gasket leak.

Get it fixed right away!
As you don't know if if is also leaking internally.

Check your crankcase for 'milk' (oil & water/anti-freeze mixing).
If you see it, your engine is living on borrowed time.

If you take it to a garage: The labour book rate is about 8-hours.

HOW TO: Identifying LIM Gasket Problems (for internal leak - mixing oil & coolant) (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42808)

Graxall
09-14-2005, 06:38 PM
awsome, no i dont have a warranty..

digitalballz
09-14-2005, 06:44 PM
I started a LIM gasket on a 99 Explorer today. What a pain.

Graxall
09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
so wat happenes if i just keep putting more antifreeze wen it leaks out? lol will it eventually blow my car up or somethign hah

Coop
09-14-2005, 07:20 PM
if it's leaking internally into your oil, yes

Graxall
09-14-2005, 07:21 PM
well i saw the pic of the coolant cap and no its not like sic's was...

DevilSlayer
09-14-2005, 07:30 PM
The "milk" provides absolutely not lubrication and even coats the cylinder walls making the problem even worse. The coolant causes the oil to become very thick and will cause your engine to overheat VERY quickly. Luckily this hasn't happened to me.....yet. Only a matter of time. 89k miles and counting.

Graxall
09-14-2005, 07:34 PM
yea but the oil/coolant havent mixed to my knowledge...right now all its lookin like is a LIM leak thats leaking out antifreeze..

coupe
09-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Its just a matter of time till it does though, get it fixed ASAP!

atc3434
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
If its leaking on the outside, the other side of the gasket is just as degraded, and on the verge of leaking. When I had to pull my front head because of a broken exhaust stud, my gaskets were in terrible shape. Not leaking internally, but it could have started any day. Fix it before you have coolant in the oil, that will ruin stuff FAST.

Graxall
09-15-2005, 11:58 PM
If its leaking on the outside, the other side of the gasket is just as degraded, and on the verge of leaking. When I had to pull my front head because of a broken exhaust stud, my gaskets were in terrible shape. Not leaking internally, but it could have started any day. Fix it before you have coolant in the oil, that will ruin stuff FAST.
yea brought it to my friends shop today, LIM leak indeed, 840dollars with labor to fix.....maybe saying bye bye to the GA..i know thatsa bold statement but im 18. i dont have 900bucks laying around, my mom doesnt give a sh!t and thats all that story

iceman
09-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Spend $100 (and that's on the high side) for a good manual and the gaskets, and do it yourself. It's not overly difficult. You can probably get all the info you need to change it from this site.

Graxall
09-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Spend $100 (and that's on the high side) for a good manual and the gaskets, and do it yourself. It's not overly difficult. You can probably get all the info you need to change it from this site.
Yea but i dont have air compressed tools for torque ect...
But hey heres the update. SOme ppl on here know wats wrong with my car completely. some dont, mods i swear this is on topic eventually lol. So heres the rundown
Bumper painted - 265(rosado is the man)
New Windsheild - 250dollars
LIM leak fixed - 850dollars
New rear tires - 250 @ 125ish a peice(Toyo Proxies 4)
for a grand total of around 1600dollars.
I talked it over with the grandma and shes gonna take on another credit card just for my car..so when things go wrong with it we have an emergency way to pay, such as if the LIM leak gets rediculous and my engine almost explodes lol...
So if my LIm leak can hold out and not mix with the oil or get internal(cuz i dont think it is) for about another month or so, not only will the LIm get fixed but the whole car will be beautifull yet again!...
So thats teh deal, if you dont care, go ef yourself, if you do care, thanks? lol
btw im posting this cuz im 1 happy sob atm..will be happier wen cars 100% again

Mike Jung
09-17-2005, 10:02 PM
graxall,

That is good to hear.

You now don't have to sell your sound system.
Or pimp yourself out :p lol

But still becareful!
If you are losing enough engine coolant to trip the low coolant level light every 3-days.
That is BAD !
If the engine coolant ever goes too low or there is a plugged area in the coolant system; you can still have abnormal hot spots in the engine.
Plus lose pressure in the coolant system since you have a leak.
As the engine coolant system is under 15psi.
If you damage more components in the engine due to over-heating: the repair will jump up very fast.

So don't wait to long to fix it, please.

Don't forget to do a oil change & engine coolant flush & re-fill.

You might also want to take care of, while getting the LIM gasket change/repair:
new Thermostat for the Engine Coolant system,
new Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wires,
& new rubber accessory drive belt.
I would strongly recommend having them done (for general maintance), since the top half of your engine will be taken apart for the LIM repair anyways (so see if you can get a discount on labour for those items to be changed).

Graxall
09-17-2005, 10:38 PM
graxall,

That is good to hear.

You now don't have to sell your sound system.
Or pimp yourself out :p lol

But still becareful!
If you are losing enough engine coolant to trip the low coolant level light every 3-days.
That is BAD !
If the engine coolant ever goes too low or there is a plugged area in the coolant system; you can still have abnormal hot spots in the engine.
Plus lose pressure in the coolant system since you have a leak.
As the engine coolant system is under 15psi.
If you damage more components in the engine due to over-heating: the repair will jump up very fast.

So don't wait to long to fix it, please.

Don't forget to do a oil change & engine coolant flush & re-fill.

You might also want to take care of, while getting the LIM gasket change/repair:
new Thermostat for the Engine Coolant system,
new Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wires,
& new rubber accessory drive belt.
I would strongly recommend having them done (for general maintance), since the top half of your engine will be taken apart for the LIM repair anyways (so see if you can get a discount on labour for those items to be changed).
thanks ill definately look into it. I exadurated on the 3 days it was like a week maybe more but ive had the refill in this time for about 3-4days and its running good now...the weirdest part about this whole thing is there is nothing on my driveway...nothin at all..its like its leaking and sitting on the metal "bar" that i see it leaking onto and thats it...

TOMGT99
09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm telling you I know you don't have the money right now but do not continually drive it for a month before you get it fix or you will be paying way more than $800+. If the coolant is not leaking externally it's going somewhere it's not suppose to so that's just a little friendly advise. I've been through it but if you know in the future your going to have the money take it to a certified dealership let them fix it and you don't have to pay until they are done.

GrandAmGT1996
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah if it isnt showing up on the driveway, that means the odds of it being internal are high. IIRC that can ruin a whole motor? I wouldn't advise of driving your car...possible for you to borrow and grandparents car or something?

Delete this, I was researching coolant leaks for my math teacher because he has one and I got to interested in this thread, and responded to it without looking at the date.:nono: :banghead

coupe
12-13-2005, 05:09 AM
Ive done that lol

GRocks10
12-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Don't put yourself in the position I did.. TRUST ME!! GET IT FIXED NOOWWWWWWW!!!! Imagine all the wonderful problems that will arise if you get it fixed to late.. once it over heats and you get it fixed I can almost gurantee that everyone will jump on your ass with anything that relates engine wise again in the future if something goes wrong.. and you'll hear about the LIM being in relation to the problem.