Won't start on first try... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Won't start on first try...

Jinx
09-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Hey guys,

I tried searching but the search terms 'start fire turn over' etc.. are so broad that they bring back too many off topic threads. So, I decided to throw this out there and see if anyone has experienced the same thing.

I have a 99 SE with the four cylinder. It has always ran fine and fired up immediately until the other day. I go to start and car and it turns over but wont start. I switch the key off, try again, and it starts right up. Doesn't seem like a serious problem, i just find it odd that it only starts on the second try.

This morning, my girlfriend was leaving for work and it took 3 attempts to start it. Perhaps it's getting worse. No codes are being thrown, and i'm definately not a mechanic, so I thought I would check here and see if this problem sounds familiar to anyone.

Thanks guys!

freakydeaky
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
what kind of battery do you have?.... it's possible you may need to start thinking about a new one

Jinx
09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey, thanks for the response. I have no idea how old the battery is because it was in the car when I bought it a few months ago. However, if the battery was going bad, wouldn't it turn over slower, or sound labored when turning over?

It turns over fine when you try to start it, it just wont start til the second try. I've never seen a car act like this before. Also, when I turn the car off, the lights don't dim at all like you would expect them to with a battery problem.

If you read this and still think it might be my battery, I can go to autozone and have it checked.. it just seems to me like that isn't the problem.

digitalballz
09-15-2005, 06:39 PM
turn it over twice! lol sorry.

Panacea
09-15-2005, 06:45 PM
So, do you leave the key in the "On" position for 3-5 seconds before you actually start the car? Try that and see if that fixes your problem.

Jinx
09-15-2005, 07:16 PM
So, do you leave the key in the "On" position for 3-5 seconds before you actually start the car? Try that and see if that fixes your problem.

Yeah, I got out of the car while my girlfriend switched it on and heard the fuel pump engage.. that was my first thought, that the fuel pump wasnt priming the motor.

DevilSlayer
09-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. I tried letting the fuel system prime and that sorta fixed the problem. It would start up on the second try, but if I let it prime it start on the first, but it still didn't start as easily. Before I would turn over once and start, then it started on the second try, then I let it prime and it takes 3 or 4 turns. Now my battery is almost dead (I have a battery booster on hand) everytime I start the car the clock resets. I have an Optima Redtop that I put in in May. I replaced my alternator last November (with a rebuilt one) because it died. Now I think that my alternator may not be putting out at its full capacity and is on its way to dying. Does it sound like my alternator again?

freakydeaky
09-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Hey, thanks for the response. I have no idea how old the battery is because it was in the car when I bought it a few months ago. However, if the battery was going bad, wouldn't it turn over slower, or sound labored when turning over?

It turns over fine when you try to start it, it just wont start til the second try. I've never seen a car act like this before. Also, when I turn the car off, the lights don't dim at all like you would expect them to with a battery problem.

If you read this and still think it might be my battery, I can go to autozone and have it checked.. it just seems to me like that isn't the problem.

i may also be a spark issue... i've included a link... http://mypage.direct.ca/k/kdomries/nogo.html ... that might help you in diagnosing your problem

Jinx
09-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the tips guys... I've been busy and haven't had a chance to try anything yet, however, I'm going to replace the fuel filter, plugs and wires just because they're overdue. I'm starting to suspect the fuel filter, but I'll report back to let you guys know if any of this helps.