Key Won't Turn. WTF?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key Won't Turn. WTF?!

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 06:38 AM
hey everybody, my subs have been messing up lately, so I decided to check behind the CD player to see if everything is hooked up right, I put the key in, turn it to on and put the car in neutral to take off the trim around the CD player, I pop it out, unhook the connectors and I can't get the black circle around the key off, so I am pulling like a bitch at it, trying to be careful, yet wanting to get it popped off. as I do that, It breaks loose and the whole trim comes back, including the black circle, AND the ****ing KEY! ... i put the key back in and am able to turn it to "acc", put the car back into neutral, and then turn it into the off position..... but now I cannot turn it on

the key will NOT turn to the right, it will not go into anything(acc, on, etc), it won't even budge from it's vertical position.... wtf?! the car is in park, NOW what happened? does anybody know how to fix this?

thanks for anyone who might have some advice, i tried searching for this problem, but couldn't find anything, so i'm really sorry if it happens to be posted before

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 07:20 AM
ok, so sorry, but I did some more searching, just searched for "key" this time, and i found out that a lot of people are having this same ****t problem, it was the ignition lock cylindar

when I buy this from gmpartsdirect, I found a post by "rizer" from 2004 on how to install a new cylindar(doesn't seem too hard really), i just have a quesiton, will it be as easy as I think:

1. buy new ignition lock cylindar
2. take out old cylindar
3. put in new cylindar
4. drive away
???

will I have to get a new key? or will this work fine with my current key, or does the gm part come with a new key? I would REALLY appreciate all the help in the world :(

pyro
09-18-2005, 08:23 AM
are you sure it wasnt just wheel locked?

mcgrady
09-18-2005, 08:25 AM
The cylinder will probably have to be coded to your key. The GM dealer does this.

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 08:41 AM
the wheel won't lock, i can turn it and turn it and it won't lock up

as for once I get the cylinder in, will I be able to start it up and all that? or will I still have to tow it down to the dealer before it will work?

Graxall
09-18-2005, 10:06 AM
This is why we use tools such as flathead screwdrivers....but that sucks man..

Mike Jung
09-18-2005, 10:13 AM
are you sure it wasnt just wheel locked?
FYI:

Our GA's steering wheels don't lock.

Graxall
09-18-2005, 10:16 AM
FYI:

yea i was just thinkin that lol, they are just like almost impossible to turn wen the key isnt in on

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 10:23 AM
so to fix my problem, i buy a new ignition lock cylindar, and then follow these directions?:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45019&highlight=key

if someone could read through those directions and answer me this question, i would appreciate it: if I can't already turn my key, how will I be able to put it into "Run" in the 2nd or 3rd step?

pyro
09-18-2005, 10:45 AM
FYI:

strange, because mine does. :iconfused

Grand_Damn
09-18-2005, 10:47 AM
had the same problem, so i got it towed to the dealer...and couple months later got a letter about a recall on it...i payed $150 to get it fixed and got $115 back after i turned in my reciept....

so ask the dealer about the recall, it would save you from buying, installing, and paying for it

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 10:50 AM
had the same problem, so i got it towed to the dealer...and couple months later got a letter about a recall on it...i payed $150 to get it fixed and got $115 back after i turned in my reciept....

so ask the dealer about the recall, it would save you from buying, installing, and paying for it

do you remember what it was called or anything? thanks, i really appreciate it

and if the recall thing doesn't work, I followed those directions from that link I gave from a different thread and I got everything out except I can't get the cylindar out, ahhhh!!!! how do I get it out?!

Grand_Damn
09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
crap...sorry for the wrong info...but the recall was actually for the hazard/turn lights...

....as to how to get it out....since its locked in place and you dont want to brake anything else....you might have to get it done professionally (i think they drill it out or something)..

this one cost me about $200 for part and labor...$100 for damn tow...and $20 for a taxi ride to the dealer (they took the whole day and i needed to be somewhere)

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 11:04 AM
crap...sorry for the wrong info...but the recall was actually for the hazard/turn lights...

....as to how to get it out....since its locked in place and you dont want to brake anything else....you might have to get it done professionally (i think they drill it out or something)..

this one cost me about $200 for part and labor...$100 for damn tow...and $20 for a taxi ride to the dealer (they took the whole day and i needed to be somewhere)

to hell with professionals, I don't have the money for that kind of overpayed bull****

i'm not getting ****y with you, i am just sick of this ****ing car and all of the problems that come about.

if I take it to a dealer, it's gonan run me a lot, not just for the work, part, but for the f'n tow and all that crap

so if ANYONE knows how to get this thing out, it would be greatly appreciated, i even looked in my Haynes Repair manual, it just gives me the same directions, except not "but if your key won't turn" type thing :(

and thank you so much Grand Damn for your help, it really is nice of you

Grand_Damn
09-18-2005, 11:15 AM
you could always try the screwdriver...seeing that the cylinder is useless anyways now...it might work...

and i know how you fell about professionals...when it happened to me, it was the day i had my final walk-thru at my old place, and i needed it to get to work the next day...so i had to cough it up...

2xPutt
09-18-2005, 11:30 AM
you could always try the screwdriver...seeing that the cylinder is useless anyways now...it might work...

and i know how you fell about professionals...when it happened to me, it was the day i had my final walk-thru at my old place, and i needed it to get to work the next day...so i had to cough it up...

since it happened to you, maybe you have an answer.... if I get a new cylindar, I could replace it myself, with the right tools of course, right? and after I get the new cylindar in, what do I do with my current key? will it work with the new cylindar, what all happens once the cylindar is replaced? thanks again :)

Grand_Damn
09-19-2005, 05:56 AM
when i got mines, they gave me a new set of keys....and the new key was able to open the doors, trunk, and glove compartment...

70 BOWTIE
09-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I had to replace my daughters cyl. on her 97 and had to have it reprogrammed to match the computer.It would throw a code to computer that it was being stolen or messed with,had a friend come over with a scan tool and reset it.I took the panels off the top and bottom of colum and had pretty easy access to it then.Sounds like you like your G-A as much as me lol.As far as the Haynes manual what a waste of paper.

Lab Rat
09-20-2005, 04:38 AM
2xPutt
You might want to try this. There is a cable that is connected from the tranny shifter to the ignition switch. When the car is in park the key will turn on, off, whatever. When the car is in gear it locks the ignition so it can't turn off. That same cable locks the tranny in park when the ignition is off. What I'm trying to get at is that it seems like your problem. Maybe when you yanked the bezel/ring off you somehow damaged or disconnected the cable. That would make the car think it is in gear and not let you turn the key. Just a thought, maybe this will be of some help to you. When I was having trouble with the switch I finally just disconnected the cable and all was well again.

2xPutt
09-20-2005, 05:07 AM
2xPutt
You might want to try this. There is a cable that is connected from the tranny shifter to the ignition switch. When the car is in park the key will turn on, off, whatever. When the car is in gear it locks the ignition so it can't turn off. That same cable locks the tranny in park when the ignition is off. What I'm trying to get at is that it seems like your problem. Maybe when you yanked the bezel/ring off you somehow damaged or disconnected the cable. That would make the car think it is in gear and not let you turn the key. Just a thought, maybe this will be of some help to you. When I was having trouble with the switch I finally just disconnected the cable and all was well again.

ya know, i'm desperate to try anything.... one problem, i'm an idiot, lol, you wouldn't happen to have like a picture of where/what this cable looks like, would you?

thanks everyone!

Lab Rat
09-20-2005, 05:18 AM
Sorry, no pic. I assume have the cylinder out of the dash. The cable is connected to the back of the ignition. You want to look at the other end. Carefully pry the boot off your console. It will kind of snap in and out. Undo the snaps and slip it over the shifter. Now look inside the console to see where it hooks up. If you can get it unhooked then you will see if that is the prob. Let us know.

2xPutt
09-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Sorry, no pic. I assume have the cylinder out of the dash. The cable is connected to the back of the ignition. You want to look at the other end. Carefully pry the boot off your console. It will kind of snap in and out. Undo the snaps and slip it over the shifter. Now look inside the console to see where it hooks up. If you can get it unhooked then you will see if that is the prob. Let us know.

nope, just checked, nothing is unhooked...... i think i am gonna shell out the over $100 for a new cylinder, i'm just so weary about drilling out the old one, does anyone have a picture of where to drill? or even a step by step? it would be greatly appreciated, or even more suggestions on how to turn the key to be able to pull out the cylinder the right way?

2xPutt
09-22-2005, 10:14 AM
I called a locksmith and he was dumb as **** on the situation and he also told me it'd be over $100 just to ****ing drill it..... so he is out of the picture, it is up to me and me alone to drill this bad boy out..... does anyone have a picture of where I need to drill at? how deep, what size, etc? that's all I need and I can be out of your hair until my next Grand am problem....

MantaGreen97
09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
nope, just checked, nothing is unhooked...... i think i am gonna shell out the over $100 for a new cylinder, i'm just so weary about drilling out the old one, does anyone have a picture of where to drill? or even a step by step? it would be greatly appreciated, or even more suggestions on how to turn the key to be able to pull out the cylinder the right way?

Hmm, best I can do is scan the picture that is in the 97 manual for drilling the lock cylinder (eventhough it doesn't seem that clear either :rolleyes: ) but I won't be able to do that until a little later today...

As for turning the cylinder, have you tried spraying some lubricant like silicone spray or WD-40 or some lock-cylinder lubricant in there? Sometimes this will free up a cylinder that is sticking, but I guess you would have tried that by now anyway...

2xPutt
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Hmm, best I can do is scan the picture that is in the 97 manual for drilling the lock cylinder (eventhough it doesn't seem that clear either :rolleyes: ) but I won't be able to do that until a little later today...

As for turning the cylinder, have you tried spraying some lubricant like silicone spray or WD-40 or some lock-cylinder lubricant in there? Sometimes this will free up a cylinder that is sticking, but I guess you would have tried that by now anyway...

hmmm.... I'll have to goto wally world and get some WD-40, not sure how much this is going to work considering the cylinder is "locked" in that position, i'm not sure all the lubes in the world will free it up... but it's worth a shot

thank you for that little idea to hold me over til I can get a drilling procedure :)

MantaGreen97
09-23-2005, 07:18 PM
K, here's the S/M page for the Ignition Cylinder removal, without the key (lost key or broken cylinder) for the 1997.

If you can make sense of where it's telling you to drill and where that would be on the 1999 ignition cylinder, then you'll be able to do it.

2xPutt
09-24-2005, 05:12 AM
thanks :) i got it fixed already though, i forgot to post here, lol

we ended up going down to the dealership and they gave us those directions but for a 1999, after like 20 minutes of realizing we couldn't drill directly into the keyhole, it took us seriously like 2 seconds with those directions, lol.... then we had to fork out $185 for a new cylinder(didn't want ot wait to order one, so we just bought from dealership, dammit! :( ) and they coded my key to it, so everything is peachy keen now :) thank you all for your help in this ordeal, it was really really appreciated :)