Whining Noise When giving it gas...Help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whining Noise When giving it gas...Help!

mjpaquette
09-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Recently, I've noticed a higher pitched, whining noise coming from what sounds like under the hood. (I think there has been a similar thread about this, but it didn't seem to resolve anything.) It sounds almost like the air flowing, whistling sound of a turbo. It is only apparent when I give it gas. It also happens in Neutral. I believe the sound is present at all speeds, but it's most apparent in low gears when there is less road noise. The noise gets louder with higher RPMs. It is not dependent on the air conditioning or fan being on, or what direction my wheels are turned or turning. I recently replaced the original serpentine belt (@88,000 miles) with a Gatorback. The noise didn't worsen for the first week or so after the belt change, but seems to have gotten worse in the last few days. Any thoughts? I like to try and stay ahead of the catastrophic failures, so any help would be appreciated.

iceman
09-18-2005, 11:23 PM
The noise is normal from the gatorback.

SC/TGrandAm
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah what Seth said, some noise with the gatorback is normal. However, I think you say that you had this noise before you switched to the gatorback? Can you clarify that...

CrucialTK
09-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I think you're having the same noise as me. Was looking at it the other day, for me it looks like a possible vac leak in my power steering pump because its more of a sucking/pushing air noise than a squeal.

Graxall
09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
this used to happen to me when i had my AC on and florred it...then all of a sudden level 3 of my hvac system no longer worked..aw well =) 4 will have to do...1,2,3 are all dead lolol

MantaGreen97
09-19-2005, 09:20 AM
The noise is normal from the gatorback.

What's funny about this is that Goodyear advertises the Gatorback as "the quiet belt" :rolleyes:

I have a Gatorback on my car too and after it was installed I swore that it made more noise too but I thought I had to be imagining it since it is supposed to be "the quiet belt" lol. I've gotten used to it over time, but I guess since everyone else is saying it does make more noise, it actually does! Stupid Goodyear! :mad:

MantaGreen97
09-19-2005, 09:22 AM
this used to happen to me when i had my AC on and florred it...then all of a sudden level 3 of my hvac system no longer worked..aw well =) 4 will have to do...1,2,3 are all dead lolol

If you're talking about fan speeds 1,2 and 3, then it is your blower-motor resistors/resistor pack that is cooked. You have to replace the resistors and you'll get your low fan speeds working again. IIRC this was a common problem on 5th Gen (99+) Grand Ams.

Graxall
09-19-2005, 09:28 AM
If you're talking about fan speeds 1,2 and 3, then it is your blower-motor resistors/resistor pack that is cooked. You have to replace the resistors and you'll get your low fan speeds working again. IIRC this was a common problem on 5th Gen (99+) Grand Ams.
ahh cool thanks bro, but yea mine used to whine like a SC when i floored it and the ac was on lol

mjpaquette
09-21-2005, 04:46 PM
the noise was present before the gatorback belt. it stayed constant for about a week or two after the belt was installed. then it seemed to increase in volume. it is definitely the sound of air - not a squealing or rubbing of a belt.

00SilverGA
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM

Yep it is! Just did mine and it was a pain in the ass! IIRC the bolts are 6mm and if you have a 1/4 drive socket that might make it easier. The hard part is getting the bolt in back.

ruthless brad
09-26-2005, 06:51 PM
I started a thread about an RPM correlated whining noise a while back. I still have the noise, and it's annoying as ever. I mean, it's really loud. When I have the windows down, the sound bounces off of other cars, the curb, or walls, and wow, it's loud! I changed my belt and alternator which didn't fix it. I have a suspicion that it's my power steering pump. It was replaced right before the noise started. I just need to find a good mechanic; I just moved and don't know where to take my car yet. But other than the noise, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. I have driven a few thousand miles since it started.

By the way, I also just replaced my blower resistors. Levels 1 and 2 didn't work. What a PAIN. That is the worst design I have ever seen. Why couldn't they put the resistors on one of the fuse panels? The resistors seem to blow more often than the fuses!

mr_eh
09-26-2005, 07:16 PM
i have that same problem in my new car

Mike Jung
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
i have that same problem in my new car
I don't think that is a 'problem' in your case lol

Panacea
09-26-2005, 08:16 PM
What's funny about this is that Goodyear advertises the Gatorback as "the quiet belt" :rolleyes:

I have a Gatorback on my car too and after it was installed I swore that it made more noise too but I thought I had to be imagining it since it is supposed to be "the quiet belt" lol. I've gotten used to it over time, but I guess since everyone else is saying it does make more noise, it actually does! Stupid Goodyear! :mad:

When they say the "Quiet Belt" they mean it won't squeal like a banshee like regular belts do...

MantaGreen97
09-26-2005, 08:30 PM
When they say the "Quiet Belt" they mean it won't squeal like a banshee like regular belts do...

Huh? :confused: My regular (stock GM) belt never "squealed like a Banshee"!

If you're talking about when you see other cars doing that (usually in the winter), I thought it was actually the automatic belt tensioner that did away with that problem, not the type of belt...?

ruthless brad
11-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Not sure if you fixed it yet, but I replaced the automatic belt tensioner and that solved the noise problem on my car. I guess the bearings on the pulley were shot. Check out the thread I started if you want more details: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53826