Frustration at the pennicle [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Frustration at the pennicle

TOMGT99
09-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Ok I know everyone knows about this ticking,knocking, or whatever you want to call it involving the lifters or whatever causes this. It's about to **** me off enough to trade in my car. I put up with it long enough i had just recently changed my oil on Saturday along with the transmission fluid and the fuel filter. I also added some oil additive to the oil to help the lifters out. I was on cloud nine until Sunday night when I was taking to someone out of my car and the engine was knocking the loudest it had ever been. Well with all that off my chect has anyone ever been able to fix this by repalcing the lifters,etc? Please help before I convert to another automobile but I love my GA.

Jeremy
09-19-2005, 06:50 AM
easiest fix I've found was to turn up the volume on the radio. Works everytime to get rid of the noise. :thumbs:

atc3434
09-19-2005, 06:57 AM
As long as your taking care of the car, and it sounds like you are, its a non-issue. Sure, its noisy when you start it up, but its perfectly normal, and its not hurting anything. I don't like it that much, but after putting 110k on the car, I'm used to it. It hasn't gotten worse in all that time, so its probably not going to.

Panacea
09-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Oil additives are bad, mkay.

freeze12
09-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Check the Timing Chain Tensioner as if is sticking it can cause this symptom. Use a mechanics Stethescope to try & see if it coming from the timing chain area.

atc3434
09-19-2005, 09:31 AM
I've never heard timing chain noise on a 3400... perhaps your thinking of the 2.4 4 cylinder, which I have defintely heard causing a racket from the timing chain area.

Mike Jung
09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Don't use FRAM oil filters.

They have sucky anti-drainback valves; that can cause dry cold start-up's.
The ADV could let the oil drain past the oil filter, into the oil pan over-night.

& Yeah, don't use oil addictives.
Unless you know what you are doing.
Most oil addictives are BAD.

TOMGT99
09-19-2005, 02:59 PM
ok i guess i'm doing everything bad then lol... I use Fram oil filters and why are oil additives bad? And also what kind of oil filter should I use?

Mike Jung
09-19-2005, 09:49 PM
...And also what kind of oil filter should I use?
For regular series type oil filters, like:
AC Delco
Purolator Premuim Plus
Wix (also known as: NAPA Gold & CarQuest Premuim Blue)

I use the NAPA Gold oil filters.
The Silicon ADV are nice on the Wix filters.

DevilSlayer
09-20-2005, 07:47 AM
I use PureOne Purolator, which are said to be one of the best filters in terms of studiness, design, and small particle filtration, but they are hard to find. I'm lucky that my local Pepboys has them. As for the oil additives, most name brand oils are already heavy in additives. Adding more will throw the balance of additives that the oil was designed for. If you go to Bob is the oil guy's website and the section on additives (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm) you'll see why additives are bad. An additive that you add in might interact badly with an additive thats already in there and cause the oil to oxidize quicker or foam like in the link above.