interesting battery failure...anyone else? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : interesting battery failure...anyone else?

ChadGT
09-20-2005, 09:09 AM
01 gagt 59k miles, about a month ago battery started dying slowly, got a charger and it did a desulfidation cycle on it and charge and it seemed to bring it back to normal. it had been fine up until end of last week with hot weather and it all of a sudden was a slow barely starter again. yesterday the battery would not start the car so i jumped it fine. stopped by pep boys on the way home from work (at which time it did start by itself barely) and picked up a new energizer battery. now the interesting part, when removing the factory battery last night, when i went to remove the positive terminal, the lead female donut terminal and surrounding plastic on the battery actually broke off with the terminal. inside the screw in terminal end was rusted/corroded together to that piece. based on this corrosion, this obviously had been going on for awhile, and i assume just got so bad that it was cutting off the proper amount of current i could get to start the car. i have never seen a failure like this and am curious what could've caused it and if anyone else had a failure like this. as well, acid was able to easily spill out then from this broken off spot. luckily i was able to remove the terminal bolt from the broken piece, pulled it apart, baking soda'd any acid corrosion, sanded the terminals clean, and hooked up new battery and all is perfect. just curious of this failure. and disappointed in only getting 4 years out of a factory battery.

chad

lastryghts
09-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Yup I had to replace my sisters battery a year or two back because it did the same thing. Talked to the nighbor who works for GM and this is somewhat of a commen accurance with some delco batteries.

Malaclypse
09-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Working at a dealership I see at least one of those a month. Most is just acid leakage or a dead cell.

Delco batteries aren't all that great.

action
09-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Crap batteries. Mine died when the car was 3 years old. While it sat on the garage floor awaiting a trip to the recycler acid leaked out of the posative terminal hole where the battery terminal screws in.