Left Turn doesn't cut off half the time [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Left Turn doesn't cut off half the time

tenstrum
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
OK, so about half the time I use my left turn signal, it doesn't cut off. I can hear it make the "click" sound and see the arm "jump" a little, but it doesn't cut off and I have to manually shut it off. Not that much of a problem except that it takes me a minute to realize that it's not off and I feel like an idiot driving down the road with my signal light on...
Any ideas on what I need to do to get my left turn sginal to auto cut off everytime I use it?

MantaGreen97
09-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Do the 5th Gen GA's have the turn-signal on reminder? After you drive for like 1 mile (1.6km) a warning chime starts dinging to tell you...

Funny enough on the 4th Gen N-bodies, for some reason the GA doesn't have this feature. The Skylark and Achieva both have a purple wire going from the turn signal output to the convenience centre but for some reason the GA doesn't have it; I see the details in the service manual and I always thought to connect it on my car, just to see if it would work but never bothered.

Anyway that aside, I'd say if it isn't cancelling and the actual turn signal stalk is not malfunctioning or getting stuck/blocked by something, it is likely the canceller cams in the steering column. It is a bit of work to replace/fix these though :( You have to remove the steering wheel (with a steering wheel puller) and then remove the plate behind that (with another puller tool for that plate!) and that will get you to the canceller cams, on most cars.

tenstrum
09-22-2005, 05:56 AM
It's not getting blocked by anything. I haven't taken the shroud of the steering column to actuall look at the turn stalk. I'm thinking its the canceller cams. What do you mean by the turn stalk malfunctioning?