car not starting while warm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car not starting while warm

w82drv
09-21-2005, 08:08 PM
ok when i start my car cold, like in the mourning when it hasnt been run or like after it has been sittin for a while, it starts right up...but when like i cut my car off and run and do like a minute thing anywhere, i turn the key and the motor starts up you kno all the gauges work and all of a sudden it just stalls and shuts off. but if i give it some gas, problem solved and it runs fine, any ideas.....i think possible the fuel pump gettin old maybe a clogged fuel filter or dirty injectors

any other info would be greatly appreciated so i can get my beast back to the track, THANKS

w82drv
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
bump...please

sluggerx5
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
i forget the reason but if u just ran it recently then first turn it to on for a few seconds then start it up. It will work every time.

Ridenour
09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a hot fuel pump... not sure though; but it sounds like the fuel pump is getting tired when it gets hot.

Panacea
09-22-2005, 07:19 PM
It's not a hot fuel pump. This happens in the middle of dead winter too!

This issue has been plauging my car for the past year and I have yet to find a solution.

Panacea
09-22-2005, 07:22 PM
i forget the reason but if u just ran it recently then first turn it to on for a few seconds then start it up. It will work every time.

Nope.

What happens is you start the car, the car runs, but after a second or two of running it idles too low and dies. If you tap the gas pedal be for it idles too low the car will bounce a few hundred rpms and then it will be just fine.

Note: For me, this is a sporatic issue. It happens once every week or two, and lately it hasn't happened in over a month.

boost21
09-22-2005, 08:18 PM
god daym, i was think in of starting the same thread, i hate this little bug that hits me sperioatically. im gettin msd wires and new plugs and hopefully that helps

Ajaxus
09-22-2005, 09:19 PM
im tryin to remember back a few years ago when my family's explorer did the same thing, i think it had something to do with fuel delivery, but im not sure. ill ask my mechanic if he remembers when i take my car in tomorrow morning.

w82drv
09-25-2005, 08:05 AM
thanks yeah let me kno what he says. im leaning towards the fuel pump but not for certain. i alreaDy replaced my plugs and wires and bettery and alternator just bc it was time to upgrade. so it cant be any of that, keep the info comin in thanks you guys

sluggerx5
09-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Nope.

What happens is you start the car, the car runs, but after a second or two of running it idles too low and dies. If you tap the gas pedal be for it idles too low the car will bounce a few hundred rpms and then it will be just fine.

Note: For me, this is a sporatic issue. It happens once every week or two, and lately it hasn't happened in over a month.

Yep.

There is nothing wrong with my car it has been doing this since day one. Something about starting it after the car is warmed up. There is a reason and it has been posted here but i dont feel like searching to find it. Just turn it to the on position for like 3 secs then turn off and start it right up. Could be we are talking about about 2 different issues but all im saying is this works for me everytime.

MantaGreen97
09-25-2005, 12:15 PM
EVAP system problem maybe? Just guessing...

w82drv
09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
could be, but im still searcing...thanks you guys

BUMP.....!

w82drv
11-28-2005, 10:45 AM
what a friend mechanic said it cud be is fuel being left in the lines and a weak pump....i uno hopefully it'll settle down and be aight but it doesnt look that way.1

Panacea
11-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Yep.

There is nothing wrong with my car it has been doing this since day one. Something about starting it after the car is warmed up. There is a reason and it has been posted here but i dont feel like searching to find it. Just turn it to the on position for like 3 secs then turn off and start it right up. Could be we are talking about about 2 different issues but all im saying is this works for me everytime.

You are talking about something totally different. You are referring to the passlock system. You must keep your key in the "On" position for 3-5 seconds for the fuel pump to pressurize. This is for every 99+ grand am. We are talking about something totally different.

brim
11-30-2005, 08:31 AM
idiot thing but test the battery as well. If the battery is fine and it can crank it's probably a fuel delivery problem as stated

hova82
12-01-2005, 11:57 PM
It's not a hot fuel pump. This happens in the middle of dead winter too!

This issue has been plauging my car for the past year and I have yet to find a solution.
Man mee too!!!!!!!!!

2002AmSE
12-03-2005, 07:43 PM
A similar issue is happening to my moms 99 purple grand am at 92k miles. When it gets started it will just die but it's okay when it's warm. Usually 1/4 throttle when cranking will keep it going, then enough throttle to hold 1000rpm or so for about 5 seconds and then when you let go it will run but if you don't hold the gas a bit it dies sometime within the first 5 seconds or so. This issue is probably from old plug/wires, clogged fuel filter, gummed up injectors, or a sticky IAC.

videoman
12-04-2005, 02:13 AM
I'd be guessing O2 sensor. giving poor readings making your engine run too lean causing it to stall. when the car is cold the comp automaticly runs the car rich, but after it warms a bit the mixture will run leaner and maybe in your case too lean.

change the O2 sensor.