Stalled out in puddle... now high idle?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stalled out in puddle... now high idle??

AaronGAGT
09-24-2005, 03:42 PM
I had no way of avoiding the puddle, walls on both sides in 3 lanes of traffic in rush hour. Went through and lost all power. 6 more cars died around me so I didnt feel so bad and a cop eventually pushed me to the nearest parking lot.

Tried getting a jump and would get a good 13 volts, but when i turned the key voltage would drop to 8. I got it towed to my house and thought I'd give it a couple days to "dry out". Well today it finally started.

Problems is while sitting in park, I'm at 1700 RPMs. I put it in reverse and there was a little jerk and likewise putting it into drive (poor tranny). I thought maybe there was a intake problem but took everything out and all is normal. I unhooked the batter for an hour thinking maybe the PCM needed a reset.

I'm not sure what other steps to take bc I'm still at 1700 RPMs... Any ideas?

MantaGreen97
09-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Dunno really but just to throw a few things out there, maybe the TPS, or water plugging the PCV or other vacuum lines? SES isn't on eh? Still you might have a DTC set which doesn't turn on the SES...

AaronGAGT
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Dunno really but just to throw a few things out there, maybe the TPS, or water plugging the PCV or other vacuum lines? SES isn't on eh? Still you might have a DTC set which doesn't turn on the SES...

No lights... and I have no idea how to check for water plugging the lines :(

Panacea
09-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Don't know how this would happen, but the throttle cable isn't stuck or anything is it?

GrahamKracka
09-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Maf?

AaronGAGT
09-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Don't know how this would happen, but the throttle cable isn't stuck or anything is it?

I was hoping that was the case... but its not.

What about the maf? clean or somethin bc it looks completely normal.. :confused:

AaronGAGT
09-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Anyone?

DrFabulous
09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I dunno. I had high idle on my 2.4 when my air intake sensor came loose, and that fixed once I got that back in. Can't remember if that threw a light or not, probably did.

Graxall
09-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Im probably the furthest person in the world from a mechanic but my friendh has a 3000gt and his idle was retarded too, but there was a screw he could mess around with to set the idle himself...dunno if our cars have something like that?

edit: oh yea i went through a HUGE puddle like a week ago, it ripped out both of my wheelwell liners and broke my horn for a day, made it sound like pee-wee-hermans bike horn...=( n i was doin like 10mph through it..damn wadding effect

AaronGAGT
09-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I dont think the puddle would make any sensors come loose that high in the engine bay... still hoping for someone to chime in here

brsexton
09-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Do you have insurance on your car that covers stuff like that? If so, I would file a claim with them and take it to the pro's to have fixed.

DrFabulous
09-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I dont think the puddle would make any sensors come loose that high in the engine bay... still hoping for someone to chime in here

I was just saying that maybe water got in there, screwed with the sensor or something, ya know? Other than that, I can't help.

atc3434
09-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Have you driven it at all since its been giving you trouble. I'd look into the TPS sensor, or a vaccumn leak, both of those will give you a high idle like you talking about.

AaronGAGT
09-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Have you driven it at all since its been giving you trouble. I'd look into the TPS sensor, or a vaccumn leak, both of those will give you a high idle like you talking about.

where exactly is the TPS sensor

Panacea
09-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Just take it to a mechanic.

GrahamKracka
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
is your MAF dirty?....thatll cause a funky idle

atc3434
09-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Throttle Position sensor. Yea, mechanic might be a good idea, just find one you can trust. With modern fuel injection systems, you really need to get a read on the sensors to figure out whats going.

MantaGreen97
09-27-2005, 11:30 AM
IAC motor perhaps too (dunno if I mentioned that originally) but if that is stuck open then you'd get a high idle too... But like the above says, you probably should get the DTCs read with a scan tool.

DarkKnight
09-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Perhaps the low voltage or dead electronics simply reset your PCM. Try driving it around a bit and see if the idle settles down. By driving around, I mean warming up the car and cruising at a steady 35-40mph if you're still having problems do an idle relearn. If your SES light isn't on, chances are all your sensors are fine, and they will usually set a DTC if there is any problem with them.

AaronGAGT
09-28-2005, 08:05 AM
I have tried to drive it, but going down a road at 35mph means i gotta ride the brake for 90% of the time.

In park=1500-1700rpms, then putting it in reverse just slams the transmission. Same thing for transition from reverse to drive.

Neutral=2100rpms, and when i put it in drive its pretty much... well... its something that Im not doing anymore until i get it fixed. So the driving around idea is kinda thrown out the window.

I did discover something; on the "accordion" piece right before the TB, there is some kind of sensor. I took it out and unplugged the little connection and a good amount of water came out. (what piece is this?) I dried out that connection and piece but the idle is still high as sikmindz.

iceman
09-28-2005, 08:14 AM
That's your TPS that you took out.

You need to stop trying to drive the car before you make sure that water didn't make it into the motor and break something else... Check your MAF too like suggested. But I'd keep my keys in my pocket if I were you.

elim
09-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Sounds like the TPS sensor to me, too. I had idle issues with mine before I got rid of it and it turned out to be a faulty TPS. No hard shifting issues, but sometimes it would accelerate by itself and when I'd get down on the throttle, the car would "stutter" while it was trying to accelerate.

atc3434
09-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I did discover something; on the "accordion" piece right before the TB, there is some kind of sensor. I took it out and unplugged the little connection and a good amount of water came out. (what piece is this?) I dried out that connection and piece but the idle is still high as sikmindz.

That's your TPS that you took out.

Seth, thats the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. The TPS sensor is built into the TB. You need to dry that whole car. I'd take off the intake tubing, the maf, and verify everything is dried out properly. I would also, as soon as its running ok, change the oil, to make sure you've not contaminated it. Any of the sensors on the intake side of the car, MAF, IAT, TPS, MAP, will cause problems like high idles and irratic behavior if they arn't working right.

So, the water came out of the intake piping, or the sensor connection? Sounds like if it came out of the connection, you may have that problem elsewhere.

AaronGAGT
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Seth, thats the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. The TPS sensor is built into the TB. You need to dry that whole car. I'd take off the intake tubing, the maf, and verify everything is dried out properly. I would also, as soon as its running ok, change the oil, to make sure you've not contaminated it. Any of the sensors on the intake side of the car, MAF, IAT, TPS, MAP, will cause problems like high idles and irratic behavior if they arn't working right.

So, the water came out of the intake piping, or the sensor connection? Sounds like if it came out of the connection, you may have that problem elsewhere.

yea man, it just came from the IAT connection. I check the MAF connection and it was dry... i guess my only other option is the TPS sensor.

MantaGreen97
09-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Any of the sensors on the intake side of the car, MAF, IAT, TPS, MAP, will cause problems like high idles and irratic behavior if they arn't working right.
Most of those sensors would set off the MIL (SES) right away though right? It's kinda strange that he hasn't gotten the MIL coming on...

Aaron, have you run the car for more than a few minutes? I think IAC motor problems don't set off the MIL until the car has been running a few minutes...

But yeah it could be any of those things, above. and if you had water drain out when removing the IAT sensor, then there is likely water elsewhere... Like atc3434 said, take apart the entire intake up to the throttle body and make sure all the water is out. Check the throttle body for water and have someone turn the car to RUN (don't start it) while you're looking into the TB. You should hear the IAC motor move in the TB (it should cycle when the ignition is turned on).

If you remove the TPS (located on the TB pretty much exactly on the horizontal bar bisecting/controlling the throttle plate) or the IAC (also located on the TB but above the TPS), to check for water, you'll need new O-Rings when replacing them, and also some threadlocker for the TPS bolts. If you remove the IAC, when re-installing it ensure the distance from the IAC housing to the end of the control valve cone pintle is less than 28mm--if it isn't you have to manually compress the pintle before installing it.

AaronGAGT
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey manta--yes, i actually had to drive it to school (~15 min drive) before the idle was THAT high... at one point it actually went back to normal, but hasnt been ever since.

Today I found some free time and removed every piece, sensor, and electrical connection all the way to the TB. Set it all outside on a warm sunny day and will put it all back together tomorrow. When I was taking off the TPS sensor, the inside was flooded with water. I didnt see any O-ring to it though. I dont know if I should use the old TPS sensor or actually go buy a new one...

Tomorrow I'm gonna slap the old sensor on and see if it made a difference and if not I'll check the couch for some change to go buy a new one. *crosses fingers that i found the problem*

iceman
09-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Seth, thats the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor.

I'm a ****in retard... I meant IAT. I know where the TPS is , wtf was I thinking when I posted that?? everyone can come hit me with a tackhammer in the head now. that's what I get for posting right after I wake up.. I know better *focktard*

anyways.. TPS diag procedure

Important:
If any other DTCs are set, diagnose those DTCs first.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the TP sensor angle parameter on the scan tool while slowly opening the throttle to wide open throttle (WOT).
Closed throttle value is the first value.
Wide open throttle (WOT) value is above the second value.
Does the TP Angle increase steadily and evenly from the Closed Throttle value to above the Wide Open Throttle value?
0%

98%
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 4

Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data for this DTC.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text or as close to the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data that you observed.
Does the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 4
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the TP sensor harness connector.
With a scan tool, observe the TP sensor voltage parameter.
Does the scan tool indicate TP sensor voltage at the specified value?
0 V
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a fused jumper wire between the 5-volt reference circuit and the signal circuit at the TP sensor harness connector.
With a scan tool, observe the TP sensor voltage parameter.
Does the scan tool indicate TP sensor voltage at the specified value?
5 V
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 7

With a DMM, test the TP sensor signal circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems .

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 12

With a DMM, test the TP sensor 5-volt reference circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 8

Test the TP sensor signal circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 11

Test the TP sensor low reference circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 10

Inspect for a poor connection at the TP sensor harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 12

Inspect for a poor connection at the PCM harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 13

Replace the TP sensor. Refer to Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 14
--

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 14
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC run and pass?
--
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 2

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK

atc3434
09-28-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm a ****in retard... I meant IAT. I know where the TPS is , wtf was I thinking when I posted that?? everyone can come hit me with a tackhammer in the head now. that's what I get for posting right after I wake up.. I know better *focktard*

I tried to make it as gentle a callout as possible... :wtf

iceman
09-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I tried to make it as gentle a callout as possible... :wtf

I know I know.. I was yelling at myself not you lol .. :ec:

back to your regularly scheduled flooded engine..

AaronGAGT
09-29-2005, 05:16 PM
UPDATE:

Put the old TPS on and hooked everything up and I still had the high idle. Went and bought a new one, and my idle is sorta back to normal (~800rpms). It used to be 600, but I can deal with 800. Thanks for all the help guys.

97GT
09-30-2005, 03:46 AM
that sounds like you have a stuck open throttle while idling. if it was the tps your idle will go up and down like crazy but in this case check your throttle cable and the butterfly in the throttle. may be something got in it somehow and is keeping you throttle open. good luck.