Interesting intake leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting intake leak

Coop
09-25-2005, 07:48 AM
So the wife's GA has had this LIM gasket leak for abotu a year now and I'm just getting around to doing it. Got the intake manifold off with no problems. I did however notice that there is another leak where the steel coolant bypass line goes into the manifold right next to the thermostat housing. How is this line attached? Sweated in? Pressed in? Has anybody else had this? Any known fix besides replacing the manifold?

eric99gt
09-25-2005, 09:25 AM
it's just pressed in. It's held in place by a bolt that runs in to the side of the head.

Coop
09-25-2005, 09:53 AM
it's just pressed in. It's held in place by a bolt that runs in to the side of the head.
not that line

Coop
09-25-2005, 09:55 AM
this one:

digitalballz
09-25-2005, 11:33 AM
pressed in with an o-ring maybe??

Coop
09-25-2005, 12:10 PM
It's already a press fit (a poor one at that) with no hold down. All an o-ring would do is get in the way of seating off. Thanks for the idea though.

MantaGreen97
09-25-2005, 12:36 PM
It's already a press fit (a poor one at that) with no hold down. All an o-ring would do is get in the way of seating off. Thanks for the idea though.

Hmm dunno how that is supposed to be secured in there, but if it is a press fit, and is leaking maybe you could weld it in there or something, to stop it from leaking?

Coop
09-25-2005, 02:42 PM
can't weld cast aluminum to steel

I just cleaned it up real good, scotch-brite, brake cleaner, left it dry, lathered it up in ultra-black RTV and socked it down in there. Got the car mostly back together but I'm not starting it until tomorrow, I want that to set up as long as possible.

And this will be the last GM I ever own with the pos Gen III 60*V6 in it. Gen II's never had these problems, new cars anymore just **** me off. The rusty old Celebrity in my driveway has 5x the miles and is over 4x older and never had problems like this, let alone under 30k miles.

There, I feel a little better now. :D