Intake difference [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Intake difference

my02gt
09-25-2005, 02:18 PM
What is the difference between the WAI and the CAI. I know the warm air just sticks out of the TB and the cold air goes to the fender well but what is the advantage of either?

atc3434
09-25-2005, 02:43 PM
No search at all huh?

GAGT7386
09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Two words ... search button

atc3434
09-25-2005, 02:45 PM
To expand upon that, I just was in this thread recently, explaining this. Here ya go, Paragraph three ought to tell you all you need to know:

The setup you see in that picture will yeild worse performance than stock if the temperature is 50* or hotter out. Cold air is denser than warmer air, and carries more oxygen. This is the point behind the cold air intake, to get colder air that is away from the engine, which will provide more oxygen for more fuel, for more power. When you pull the air from the engine compartment, its pretty warm, espeically in slow traffic, but it stays consitently much warmer than the air you get from a cold air intake.

I've verified that the air temps on a WAI stay warm even when your moving, I switch from cold air to warm for the winter because the cold air intake actually has a negative affect on my gas mileage when the temperatures get down below 50* or so. Using the warm air setup, I get warmer air from under the hood, and my mileage doesn't suffer. However, once it starts warming up outside, I begin to experience heatsoak, and hotter air temps on the highway. Both of these conditions hurt performance, usually resulting in less fuel being delivered, and a much higher tendency to cause Knock Retard.

Basically, a WAI sounds cool, but has little performance gain to be had. A cold air intake offers some advantages, the cold air, and better flow. On a stock car, you don't really need either setup performance wise, the exhaust is a much better mod. CAI/WAI setups do sound awesome though. A final note, I can't recall one instance of anybody on here with a CAI having any issues with water being ingested into the engine. If you're going to hit a huge puddle, just let your foot off the gas, your not going to have much vaccum in the intake at idle, not enough to pull the water up into the engine. To actually imerse the filter in water, you'd need to get the car into at least 1.5ft of water.

On the muffler idea, you can get all kinda of mufflers that'll replace the stocker. A catback will yeild you better gains though, the stock piping has a couple nasty kinks in it. SLP is pretty fairly priced, and sounds badass.

From the following thread: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56068

Ajaxus
09-25-2005, 02:46 PM
ill be kind. warm air expands, cold air condenses. with a cai you can pack more air into the engine than a wai. thats the explanation in simple terms. with a cai in the fender you do have the possibility of pulling water, dirt, and debris up into the cone, the wai is protected by the engine bay.

AznGA
09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Get CAI and either SLP or Borla exhaust.

02andahalfgt
09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
with a cai in the fender you do have the possibility of pulling water, dirt, and debris up into the cone

Hardly anyone is ever effected by things like that, that is an extremely rare occurance.