wheel hub idiot lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wheel hub idiot lights

onesexyga
09-26-2005, 07:18 PM
had the lights go off this spring, and my hubs were obviously bad. Replaced both front just to be safe, altho one wasnt as bad. All of them feel good now, and the abs and traction control work. At first it was still throwing the code. Now its less and less often. It takes like an hour of driving to set it off now. Once theyve been set off, i shut it off. Longer it sits, longer it takes to set them back off again. Seems to happen randomly. Nothing in a search. wtf?

MantaGreen97
09-26-2005, 08:22 PM
had the lights go off this spring, and my hubs were obviously bad. Replaced both front just to be safe, altho one wasnt as bad. All of them feel good now, and the abs and traction control work. At first it was still throwing the code. Now its less and less often. It takes like an hour of driving to set it off now. Once theyve been set off, i shut it off. Longer it sits, longer it takes to set them back off again. Seems to happen randomly. Nothing in a search. wtf?

I'm a little unclear to what the problem is but I'm guessing the ABS and Traction Control lights? You replaced the hubs but the ABS sensors use a separate toothed ring and sensor, correct? I thought they only used the sensor-in-the-hub on the rear hubs (usually when there are rear drums)... Or does the 5th gen have sensor-in-the-hub front hubs as well?

If the ABS sensors have been replaced or are known good (whether they are integral to the hubs or not) then it might be a wiring problem--you might have an intermittent open/short in the wiring harnesses going to the sensor(s) for which the DTC comes up for.

onesexyga
09-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Yeah, still losing signal on the sensors. Ive been told there are sensors in all four. The front 2 were just replaced and the back 2 seem fine. Connections at the hub have all been cleaned. And yeah, its throwing the abs, trac off, and svs lights. So where in the wiring should i check?

Hot_Stud18
09-27-2005, 11:06 AM
What happens if one neglects to replace the hubs? My lights do the same thing(ABS, SVS,Trac light) randomly.

onesexyga
09-27-2005, 11:18 AM
If its just a bad sensor then you wont have abs or traction control. If the hub itself is bad, then its a serious problem that youll want to get fixed. Its a $110 part at autozone and takes an hour to do. Definately fix it.

MantaGreen97
09-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah, still losing signal on the sensors. Ive been told there are sensors in all four. The front 2 were just replaced and the back 2 seem fine. Connections at the hub have all been cleaned. And yeah, its throwing the abs, trac off, and svs lights. So where in the wiring should i check?

So the front wheels don't have the toothed ring and the separate sensor but instead have the sensor built into the hub? Interesting...

Anyway to know what wiring to check you're going to have to get the DTCs read from the car--the codes will tell why/where the error is occuring. That's why it is usually pointless to just change components without knowing what codes are setting off the lights as you could change components that were functioning fine. (Though in your case it sounded like you needed to change the hubs anyway, aside from the ABS sensors' condition.)