General ? about windshield [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : General ? about windshield

TOMGT99
09-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Ok I noticed my windshield was cracked at the very bottom one day (very tiny) now it is about 5 inches going up. My question is can it be fixed without replacing the entire windshield and about how much? I haven't had any experience in this field so I thought I would ask.

AznGA
09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
You need a new glass. If it's a crack, it's only gonna get bigger. The little chips are repairable though. I have done it.

botlfed
09-27-2005, 05:28 AM
must replace the complete thing, there isn't any fixing for a crack

tenspeed
09-27-2005, 07:49 AM
Some insurance policies have glass coverage.

Call around if you have to pay for it. In my area, it's $200-$300. Some junkyards might replace it too.

Graxall
09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
actually you can CONTAIN the spread by bringing it to most mechanics, they drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from getting bigger..i just replaced my windsheild was 265 not too bad...

Jeremy
09-27-2005, 10:02 AM
actually you can CONTAIN the spread by bringing it to most mechanics, they drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from getting bigger..i just replaced my windsheild was 265 not too bad...

then you have a nice hole in your windshield. You're better off getting it replaced right away. I know in some areas you can get a ticket for having a cracked windshield. I think it's considered an obstructed view (kinda like those retarded hat visors hanging from the rear view mirror that kids these days do).

Graxall
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
then you have a nice hole in your windshield. You're better off getting it replaced right away. I know in some areas you can get a ticket for having a cracked windshield. I think it's considered an obstructed view (kinda like those retarded hat visors hanging from the rear view mirror that kids these days do).
They plug the hole too if im not mistaken, its really small tho, but the hole is an alternative for people who dont have the money to get it replaced right away. ANd your prolly right about hte ticket thing, some places maybe, you def wont pass inspection i can tel ya that much ;)...265 aint that much of a dent...especially if your like me and just dropped almst 2g's on ur car just getting it to keep running lol

Molson
09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
yeah, I replaced my winshield for around 250.00 CDN. so the price isn't too bad.

Lab Rat
09-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Comprehensive insurance coverage, no charge and they came to my work parking lot to fix it.

Molson
09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Yep, coulda went that route. I like the idea of not having a claim better.