Removing Throttle body / UIM questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Throttle body / UIM questions

Ridenour
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm currently removing my TB and UIM; but I'm having some trouble clamping / removing the coolant lines. Is there a way to relieve the pressure from the system, and also is there some kind of trick to removing the white clamps? I need help ASAP, as I need to drive later today. Thanks.

Ridenour

coupe
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
If the engine is cold there should be no coolant pressure.

Ridenour
09-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Ok; then there must not be any because my GA has been off for over 14 hours. Is there a trick to getting off the white clamps underneath the throttle body where the coolant lines meet it?

bszopi
09-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Use some large pliers or channel locks and just grip both sides of the clamp until they meet in the center, then slide the clamp over onto the hose. They can be a pain sometimes, but they can be dealt with.

coupe
09-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Oops forgot your other question, what brad said.

97GT
09-27-2005, 11:15 AM
You should be able to get a long needle nose pliers and grasp the clamp together until they are closed. the needle nose pliers must be longer than the usual ones.

iceman
09-27-2005, 11:27 AM
:werd what Brad said.. If this is the first time they've been removed, put them back exactly how they were sitting on the hose, or replace them with some screw-type hose clamps. Mine would leak like a sieve if I didn't line the clamps like they were originally placed.. something to do with how the hose has changed shape w/ the clamp there forever I guess.

Ridenour
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Alright - thanks guys. I had to put the car back together early today, but I'll attempt it later sometime this week or next. Thanks for the info.