Heater Core on 01 GA [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Heater Core on 01 GA

GAGT7386
09-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Alright here are the symptoms, smell of antifreeze on outside of car after it is idled for a little bit. Low coolant light on every other week, no milky oil of oil in coolant. So I have been told to check out the heater core. I just want to make sure that a bad heater core would cause these problems. Leaking antifreeze to who knows where (no visable spots under car) and strong smell of antifreeze after car idles.

Thanks

Braves299
09-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Alright here are the symptoms, smell of antifreeze on outside of car after it is idled for a little bit. Low coolant light on every other week, no milky oil of oil in coolant. So I have been told to check out the heater core. I just want to make sure that a bad heater core would cause these problems. Leaking antifreeze to who knows where (no visable spots under car) and strong smell of antifreeze after car idles.

Thanks

It could possibly be your water pump. I just replaced mine over the summer. Only like $20. Is your car squealing at all? My pump was shooting coolant onto the belt, which made it squeal.

GAGT7386
09-27-2005, 01:06 PM
i dont think so, i knwo that my car doesn't squeal. i wish that was it b/c 20$ to 120$ for a new heater core is a big diffference

MantaGreen97
09-27-2005, 01:19 PM
The LIM (lower intake manifold) gaskets aren't leaking? That is a *much* more common (and much more expensive) problem on the 3400 engine. The coolant doesn't have to mix with the oil either, depending on how/where the gasket fails; but you will see fluid leaking from the gaskets down the engine...

If the heater core is leaking you will usually get coolant coming inside the vehicle, unless it is leaking at it's connections (in that case you'll usually have it leaking down the firewall). Also you might get low or no heat (but you can't really tell in the summertime).

GAGT7386
09-27-2005, 03:52 PM
all i knwo is i just got an estimate for my heater core and it was near $1200 !!!

White00GAGT
09-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Is the heater core in our cars right near the evap.? If that's the case if it was leaking wouldn't it just go down it's drain tube? Depending on where that went couldn't it hit the block or some other hot object and not actually drip but vaporize hence the smell maybe?

MantaGreen97
09-27-2005, 06:35 PM
all i knwo is i just got an estimate for my heater core and it was near $1200 !!!

That sounds a little ridiculous if you ask me. I always love when people get/mention these ludicrous quotes from mechanics. I don't mean any offence to anyone (who might be a mechanic) but stuff like this is why I simply don't trust anyone to work on my car, except myself, unless for some reason I absolutely *have* to have work done somewhere due to complexity or special tools/skills.

Anyway, even if you paid retail dealership price for the heater core, and even if it cost like $300 (and that is really pushing it); I can't see how it is possible to have labour being $900 for a heater core replacement :rolleyes:

It is a little time consuming and tricky on some cars, sure, but you can just get the core and replace it yourself and you'll be doing a *lot* better than $1200--probably like a thousand dollars better.

GAGT7386
09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
does anyone know where i can get a detailed how to for 99+ ga?

schizm99
09-28-2005, 01:48 AM
The heater core on my 99SE was fairly easy.. Passengers side under the dash 6 or 8 bolts/screws maybe to clamps under the car and done.. If it is your heater core the windows fog up within a few minutes of turning the heat on..