ignition system [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ignition system

danielcastro
09-29-2005, 05:49 PM
hi, my car is a grand am gt 1999 motor 3.4
i've got a problem with the sparkplug number 2 in the explosion order, it doesnt make spark on the sparkplug and neither the distributor, what can be the cause? thank you

DevilSlayer
09-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Bad coil pack? Also check for corrosion on the coil packs and wires. BTW how old are the plugs and wires?

Coop
09-30-2005, 09:53 AM
plugs 2 and 5 (at least iirc it's 5) fire at the same time. There is no distributor on these cars but there are 3 coil packs, try swapping two of the coil packs making sure to keep the plug wires in the correct location and see if the problem moves to another cylinder(s). If it does it's your coil pack. If not it could be anything from the plug/wire to the ignition module to the crank sensor (although this is doubtful since the rest fire ok, unless the reluctor on the crank is broken which is really doubtful and I've never even heard of).

danielcastro
10-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks a lot Coop I've done as you told on your last post and the 2 / 5 coil pack gives a really soft spark on sparkplug 2, what shall i do next?

MetaGTP1
10-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks a lot Coop I've done as you told on your last post and the 2 / 5 coil pack gives a really soft spark on sparkplug 2, what shall i do next?Replace the coil pack.