Coolant Flush Options [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Flush Options

idahoeeboy
09-30-2005, 04:09 PM
I just hit the 50000 mile mark this week and I'm going to do a coolant flush tomorrow.

I'm kind of looking at my options, this is what I've found out on search.

1) Drain the coolant, fill with water, turn heater on, run for a while, drain, repeat as necessary until water is clear. Refill with fluid.

2) Drain the coolant. Take half the dang car apart to get to the thermostat. Pull it out, replace the housing, run the water through it, drain, refill with fluid and you're done (Haynes approach).

3) Use a flush kit. Follow manufacturer's directions.

I think the flush kit sounds the easiest.
I bought one of those Prestone flush kits, but it sounds like its been terrible to try to get the T-splitter to fit into the hose. Any hints on the best way to do this? Would it be bad to put a little grease on the inside of the hose to get it to slide in? (I saw Seth's post with the picture and can see where the hose is bulging).

Anyways, I just really need some advice on the best option, cause the weather is cooling off and I need to get this done before winter.

Thanks in advance.

iceman
09-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Glad you found that pic.. it wasn't THAT hard to do, just took a little work. I did use a tiny bit of grease to help it on there.. worked good.

sonicfrequency
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey guys. Im looking at basically the same questions here...Got an oil change coming up and Im going to run full synthetic and while Im at it Im going to flush my coolant and add some new dex-cool. FIrst off how much for the preston kit? Second, how do I go about bleeding the air out etc. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks guys! :smokey:

sonicfrequency
09-30-2005, 06:11 PM
I forgot also to ask how to drain the fluid? Is there a plug or something? I guess i just need some quick instructions.... :crazy:

digitalballz
09-30-2005, 07:08 PM
there is a plug on the radiator. Lower left side IIRC. There is also 2 plugs on the engine block.

idahoeeboy
10-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Ok, I bought an extra hose, cut it, and installed the prestone kit on it. I'm gonna swap it with the original while I do the flush and then switch back. I know I"m just being paranoid, but I don't like a mod that adds 3 possible coolant leak points.

My question is do i have the sequence correct? The instructions don't seem to apply to our cars as much.

1) Install Prestone kit.
2) drain fluid-one on radiator, 2 on engine block.
3) disconnect main radiator hose.
4) Leaving ALL plugs open, turn on the hose, run until water is clear.
5) Refill.

Is that someone right? I also have some Prestone Flush radiator cleaner...how would I use that? Would I have to close all the plugs after flushing fill with water and Flush chemical?

Thanks