Search problem... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Search problem...

LukeD
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Seems like it just started. I'll type 2 words into search and it wont bring up only threads that contain both words. Instead it will bring up threads that contain 1 or 2 of the words searched. Say I type red manifold into search. It will display all threads that contain either red or manifold or both. Annoying when I'm trying to narrow my searches down. Is it just me or is this happening to others too?

Braves299
10-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Seems ike it just started. I'll type 2 words into search and it wont bring up only threads that contain both words. Instead it will bring up threads that contain 1 or 2 of the words searched. Say I type red manifold into search. It will display all threads that contain either red or manifold or both. Annoying when I'm trying to narrow my searches down. Is it just me or is this happening to others too?

When you want to search for something specific like that, put "red manifold" in quotations. That way it searches for that exact phrase. Same goes for yahoo, google, etc...

LukeD
10-01-2005, 03:53 PM
right I do that if I want exact phrases, but I mean if I want a thread that just has those 2 words in them, not necessarily together. If I type red manifold I shouldn't come up with threads that just contain the word red.

pyro
10-01-2005, 04:26 PM
right I do that if I want exact phrases, but I mean if I want a thread that just has those 2 words in them, not necessarily together. If I type red manifold I shouldn't come up with threads that just contain the word red.
you just contradicted yourself.:iconfused

Ajaxus
10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
red+manifold is what you want then, the plus means you want the first AND second item.

LukeD
10-01-2005, 11:24 PM
red+manifold is what you want then, the plus means you want the first AND second item.

oh ok. yeah ajaxus knows what I ment. (However convoluted I was when conveying it). Don't know if I always had to do it like that and I just never noticed it or what. Oh well. Thanks guys. Mods can delete this thread if they want.

NorKoastal
10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Also can you turn off the search timer for Premium members.. I hate having to wait 30 seconds when Im searching for stuff..

Thnks,.

Jeremy
10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Also can you turn off the search timer for Premium members.. I hate having to wait 30 seconds when Im searching for stuff..

Thnks,.

Unfortunately that setting is a global setting for the script, it is a setting that cannot be changed based on usergroups. The main purpose of it is to minimize server load during a SQL db search.

99GAGTX
03-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Okay I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to search for the exact phrase "displacement on demand". Each time I tried, it deleted the words "displacement" and "on", saying that they are too common. Therefore it searched for the word "demand" only. Even when I put "displacement on demand" in quotes (like I did just now) it does the same thing and gives me 30 pages of threads containing the word "demand".

I don't want to start a new thread if one is already going about the topic, but searching through 30 pages of threads containing the word "demand" is ridiculous.

Is there a different way to do a search for the exact phrase, without the search tool automatically eliminating the first two words on me?

Thanks in advance.