Annoying Brake Noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Brake Noise

smbouff
10-02-2005, 01:36 AM
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan and my brakes are making an incredibly annoying rubbing sound at low speeds. When I get below say 20mph I hear a faily noticable rubbing sound and every so often a squeek sound(squeeks mostly after raining not many other times). Now I am a car newbie when it comes to parts and all that stuff but I pretty much assume it might be a brake pad issue? I have already had my brakes worked on and the sound went away for like....3 days........it's already back and that's why I'm so angry. :rage: I'm going to have my brakes looked at again and make them do it right this time...my actual question is two part.

1)Before I go back yellin at them am I correct assuming the pads are bad or something similar?
2)Does anyone else here get this problem and is it a frequent problem?

I'd hate to be replacing my pads or whatever all the time....I'm a poor college kid like some of you probably are so you feel me...lol. Any comments you guys have would be most welcome and appreciated. :feedback: Thanks.

Ajaxus
10-02-2005, 02:04 AM
1)what work was done last time they worked on your brakes?
2) are you on stock rotors or aftermarket rotors?
3)any idea what type of brake pads you are on? (stock, semi-metallic, ceramic)
4)any idea how many miles are on your current pads?

Cryogenic02GAGT
10-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Squeaks can come from brake pads but most rubbing or grinding is due to warped or groved rotors. Have them turned if they aren't warped badly....

andrewe77
10-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Is this the famous RSA tire rub? Fiill the tires up to 40 PSI+ and see if it goes away and if it is, then it is the tires. You can live with the noise or replace them with some other brand, although my BF/Goodrich tires make the same noise as the RSA's did. DON'T leave the tire pressure that high. It's only for diagnostic purposes and you'll need to lower it back below 35.

smbouff
10-17-2005, 03:12 AM
1)what work was done last time they worked on your brakes?

From the sales receipt: Replaced front rotors, 2 after market rotors. Rust Ridge causing noise, test drove, fine at this time.

2) are you on stock rotors or aftermarket rotors?

after market

3)any idea what type of brake pads you are on? (stock, semi-metallic, ceramic)

no idea what kinda pads are on here....last owner had brakes replaced just prior to sale, brake replacement was verified by 3rd party mechanic. whatever a small brake shop might use to replace brakes...that's what on here...lol. otherwise im not sure. i was reading on here somewhere that the ceramic pads would eliminate noise? is this true to anyones knowledge???

4)any idea how many miles are on your current pads?

mileage on the new set of brakes is very low...only about 6k, maybe less.

"Is this the famous RSA tire rub? Fiill the tires up to 40 PSI+ and see if it goes away and if it is, then it is the tires. You can live with the noise or replace them with some other brand, although my BF/Goodrich tires make the same noise as the RSA's did. DON'T leave the tire pressure that high. It's only for diagnostic purposes and you'll need to lower it back below 35."

Thanks for the tip here....I'll give this a try and see if increased tire pressure helps things out any....if it does I'll try to see what kinda tires to replace them with....i was considering doing that anyways since my tread is getting lower than I'd like it to be with the impending winter on the horizon....

cmoore
10-17-2005, 05:26 AM
Squeak is probably the known problem with the GA calipers. My breaks sound like a old rocking chair. If you are stopped press break a few times and see if you can hear squeek. If you can, need to lubricate the calipers.
Use the Search option on the site and it will give you more info.

Grand_Damn
10-17-2005, 08:26 AM
i have the same problem but mines is from the rear drums...i noticed it when i changed the rims but my girlfriend says it was before that.

yeah, just a fyi, the car was hardly being used for the last 10 months (maybe a total of 10x)

i plan to change the brake system (rear stock drums to powerslot disc and front stock discs to powerslot disc)...cause the stock (especially the half disc half drum ) look so stupid with the new rims

smbouff
10-18-2005, 06:42 PM
It's much less of a squeek now than a rubbing noise. It's not metal on metal that I can hear...just sounds like something rubbing together at a high rate of speed and makes a whooshing noise that comes up into the car. People tell me they don't hear anything on the outside except for rarer ocassions such as after a rain or I wash it... or it sits for a day or two. I'm running out of ideas and even patience since it seems so loud to me now...I hear it even with music on unless I turn it up past quarter the way up...which isn't that often since I usually have my girlfriend in the car and she makes me talk to her......lol

Hopefully that bit more specific description can help someone tell me if this is just the normal loud ass brake sound or if maybe I need new pads or something. Thanks guys.

1hotgagt
10-20-2005, 09:04 PM
check the calipers the pistion might not be returning all the way and your brake pads are constanly rubbing the rotors making ur grinding sound or your sliders might need some lube.

cals400ex
10-20-2005, 09:50 PM
if it is a creeking noise, i bet it is your calipers. gm released special oil that you should oil your caliper pistons with. after i bought this, i have not had the noise since.

a whooshing sound is more than likely your tires rubbing on your wheels. i just replaced my stock tires and i have never heard the noise since.

charbygt
04-01-2006, 02:42 PM
I had the special lube from GM and it lasted about 8-10 months. I took it to another garage and they have used WD40 without any complants. I had mine done as well and sound is gone.

lone_wolf025
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
If you have a floorjack raise the front end high enough off the ground so that you can spin the tires. Spin each one and see if one spins noticebly less than the other or takes more effort to spin. If that's the case you've got a sticking caliper or slide. To figure out which part is sticking check the wear on the pads. If one is sticking it should be considerably more worn when compared to the other. Inboard wear (towards the engine) means a sticky piston, outboard means slide (assuming its a floating caliper like most GMs).

Though I would be weary about putting WD-40 or any petroleum based lubricant on the calipers. I don't know what the stuff GM recommends to lube the thing is so I can only assume GM knows what they're doing. If I recall correctly though, if any petrol based lubes get into the fluid it can royally mess up the seals in the system.

charbygt
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
The mechanic accually lubed the caliper piston behind the seal.
GM klube is slightly thicker.