stripped lug nut [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : stripped lug nut

badboy2451
10-02-2005, 09:24 PM
anyone else ever done this besides me?? i had 2 new tires put on the other day and the damn shop torqued the sh!t outta them...i was gonna lube up my caliper slides and while i tried to take the last lug off, the "shell" on the lug broke and now i cant get it off

please help :mad:

BiHStL
10-02-2005, 10:01 PM
well when i got my new rims installed, i had lost my lug nut key for my stock lug nuts which locked, so the shop that i bout my rims and tires from had this tool which just broke the lug nuts off.

TOMGT99
10-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Well one option you have if the case came off is to break it off and by doing that will take some time if you dont have the proper equipment. You can take a long thick flat head screw driver and a hammer and just start to chip away at it for starters. Also you can check before u start doing that to see if any sockets fit the "lugnut".

badboy2451
10-03-2005, 05:40 AM
thanks guys...

as for fitting the actual lug, i tried that and just stripped it and nothin will fit on it anymore. Bihstl, where did you go that had a tool to break the lug cuz that would be perfect since nothin else seems to work?

DrFabulous
10-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Bring it back to where you got your wheels put on, and yell at em. Can't hurt.

02widetrackgt
10-03-2005, 01:36 PM
I had this problem as well. I went to advanced auto parts (might have been auto zone) They sell a reversed thread tool. You screw it on opposite, and it tightens around the lugnut.

badboy2451
10-03-2005, 03:39 PM
I had this problem as well. I went to advanced auto parts (might have been auto zone) They sell a reversed thread tool. You screw it on opposite, and it tightens around the lugnut.

thanks dude, ill have to go check it out...i have to make my way down there anyways

robry
10-04-2005, 05:33 AM
on my 96 GA I went through about 5 busted lugs, even got a lugnut stripped and stuck on one of the wheels. I took it too a shop for new tires and they got it off using a thin-walled socket, which they pounded onto the lug. Sometimes it might be easier taking it to a local tire shop and paying them 10$ to bust it off. And that way if you do break the lug, they can press a new one in.

Coop
10-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Hammering a thin wall socket works sometimes but not always, don't use a socket you want to keep if you try it.

Cryogenic02GAGT
10-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Be carefull who you let work on your tires!!! Seeing as how you have a 99 GAGT this means that you have all wheel disk brakes. The rotors on your car float on the 5 lugs, if you over tighten them you have a high risk of warping your rotors causing even more damage than just a stripped lug. Next time ask them to torque the lugs down instead of using the guess its on there tight enough because i cranked the life out of them with my impact method...