LIM gasket pricing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM gasket pricing

StephenM
10-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Ok, so I'm finally going to break down and get this fixed. It's been leaking worse the past month (only externally) and I'm putting fluid in every two-three days now. I called around a couple of places and told them I needed my intake gasket replaced. Asked them how much, and I found a local shop that's not very big that would do it for $360. After reading everyone else's threads about it costing $700+, I figure this is a good deal. He said he could probably do it in one day, so I'm figuring $40 an hour. Does this sound fishy to anyone, or just lucky? And am I giving enough information to them by telling them its an external intake gasket replacement that's common to Grand Am's??

NorKoastal
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Make sure they know its the upper and lower.

StephenM
10-03-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't even know that it's both? I just assumed it was the lower because that's the one that goes out on everyone. So I need to have both replaced while they have it all apart?

NorKoastal
10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Why not.. The new gasket is better made and a new coat of sealant should keep them both leak free longer than the stock gasket...

RedGrandTour
10-04-2005, 09:06 AM
I was quoted $1,000 with the coolant flush. From two different dealers.

MantaGreen97
10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't even know that it's both? I just assumed it was the lower because that's the one that goes out on everyone. So I need to have both replaced while they have it all apart?

It is the lower one that is the problem gasket, but there is no way to change the lower without removing the uppper intake as well, which means both have to be changed. In fact other gaskets like the EGR gasket will also have to be changed because you have to dismantle so many things to get to the lower intake.