HELP! - Car still won't stay started!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - Car still won't stay started!!

reemoe
10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Hello, in the past two weeks, I've replaced my instrument cluster twice and my ignition cylinder, but the car (1998 GA GT) still won't stay started (kills after a second or two, likely due to something related to the anti-theft mechanism).

I've tried the reprogramming trick of letting the car sit for 10 minutes after it kills, taking the key out, and restarting, but to no avail.

Any other ideas out there as to what else I should check? I'm getting tired of carpooling to work the last 2 weeks!

Thanks!
Ryan

Kdawg207
10-03-2005, 11:34 AM
a dumb ?

but have you checked the batt/alt

reemoe
10-03-2005, 02:42 PM
but don't think that's it, as the Anti-Theft light blinks for a few seconds after the engine kills (then remains lit with the rest of the lights).

redfox
10-03-2005, 02:45 PM
you have gas?

pyro
10-03-2005, 02:47 PM
could be anything, cam sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, bad gas, spark plugs, spark plug wires, pcm, ignition sensor. my g/fs alero has the same problem. i cant find out what it is either. *****ed*

digitalballz
10-03-2005, 04:11 PM
if you think its the anti theft y not try a new key. I know it worked for one of our customers on a 2002 mustang. Could be some sort of relay. We have a civic with the same problem right now in the shop, and its a relay problem. Or it could be any of the things pyro has stated.

MantaGreen97
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
If the THEFT SYS light flashes once the car cuts off that means either the R-Code is not learned to the IPC or the password from the IPC is not learned to the PCM.

Since you've replaced both components, it sounds like this is very likely your problem.

Start the car and wait for it to cut off (will happen immediately); watch the THEFT SYS light. Is it flashing? Leave the key in the run position for 15 minutes--the THEFT SYS light should go out. Then re-start the car, and it should run.

The thing is when you replace two components I think that makes things even more complicated. Because the R-Code from the cylinder is recognised by the IPC which holds a password which it gives to the PCM. Sounds like it might take two cycles of the above in succession in order for the R-Code to be learned to the IPC and then for the password to be learned to the PCM.

If the THEFT SYS light does not flash after starting the car and it stalling then you might have another problem other than PassLock, but it does indeed sound like a PassLock problem.

MantaGreen97
10-03-2005, 05:33 PM
if you think its the anti theft y not try a new key. I know it worked for one of our customers on a 2002 mustang.

That might be the case if it were a PassKey system; but Grand Ams use PassLock which relies on the ignition cylinder for the R-Code, not the key. In fact PassKey III is a "transponder" system, not a resistance system anyway. PassLock (either I or II) should not be affected by the ignition key. As long as the key turns the cylinder the R-Code will be going to the IPC (unless there is a problem with the cylinder and/or wiring and/or IPC).