Im pulling the heads...need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Im pulling the heads...need help

Sgtp
10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
We are doing are own head gasket swap because the dealer quoted 1700. I am familliar with series II 3800 SC engines, so we are trying out our knowlege on this 3400.

I noticed to get to the LIM bolts on the passenger side you need to get the power stearing pump removed. Can that be removed by itself? I noticed it is part of a bracket that the a/c is on and the engine bracket is part of it as well. I dont want to have to remove more than I need to. So can the power stearing pump be removed by itself? Also, I cant cheat and just remove the heads leaving the LIM attached, can I lol

Help! we are hoping the wrench some more tonight!

iceman
10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
The power steering pump has a hole in the pulley that allow you to get to the bolts that hold it on.. Once they are off just set it aside.

Coop
10-03-2005, 07:40 PM
yup, three bolts for the power steering pump, bottom one can be a pain, might have to remove one motor mount bolt - you'll see what I mean :D

Oh and no, don't remove the intake with the heads :D

Irate
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Once they are off just set it aside.

:heh:

Sgtp
10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
OK, We got the LIM off and can get to the heads...........................

I now have a lot of random questions about this job abd hope you guys can help.

I know on the 3800, the head bolts are not reuseable because they are torque-to-yeild bolts. Are the 3400 bolts reuseable? and what is the torque values and torque sequence?

What is the torque rating for the rocker bolts?

torque rating for the valve cover?

torque rating for the LIM?

torque rating for the upper intake manifold?

How do you bleed the coolant system on these engines?

I think thats all I am looking for now. Let me know if theres any more I might be missing. Thanks for the help so far. :)

iceman
10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Search - you'll find an answer to each question you asked right away. The head bolts are torque to yield, you can reuse the LIM bolts IIRC with some threadlocker applied. Search around you'll find it all.

Coop
10-04-2005, 03:11 AM
You're not supposed to reuse the ehad bolts, but I have already with no problems on other 60* V6's. For what they cost just replace them.

Sgtp
10-04-2005, 08:04 AM
ok, roger on the head bolts and the thread locker......

this is what I found for headbolt torque spec:

First Pass
60 Nm
44 lb ft

Final Pass
95 degrees

.....but heres my question: When I removed the front one (or left, if you prefer) I had to use a breaker bar on the bolts under the vavle cover. If I had to guess, they were torqued to 80 ft/lbs or beyond. The other 4 above the exhaust mani were suprisingly loose, like 35-40 if I had to guess. So, whats up with that? Have any of you heard of a head torqued down like this?

oh, and I found the little brass bleeder valve on the hard coolante line so Im goood to go on that. Thanks for the replys,,,,,

Coop
10-04-2005, 09:29 AM
When you loosened the bolts on one side the head probably shifted and in turn reduced the strain on the bolts on the other side. It's usually a good idea to remove head bolts in the reverse order of the tightening sequence to avoid possibly distorting the head, especially with aluminum heads.

As far as bleeding the cooling system you want to take that brass valve out and fill the surge tank until coolant comes out that valve, then put the valve back in, fill surge tank maybe 2/3, start engine, when upper radiator hose gets hot (thermostat open) the surge tank level will drop (don't let it get empty!) Then refill tank to proper level. I think that's right, I'm at work and going from memory :D Should be in the owners manual too iirc.

Sgtp
10-21-2005, 10:40 PM
ok GM did not send enough head bolts part numbers 11518992 need 8 and part number 11518953 again need 8 So does anyone know of a place that would have these head bolts for sale on a sat. NEED ASAP!! I dont want to wait another week. We would like to work on it all sat. but can't if we dont have the bolts?? Would any auto parts store carry bolts for a 99 grand am gt v6??? lol need to finish. Thanks for any help live in chicago land area.

Malaclypse
10-21-2005, 11:31 PM
ok, roger on the head bolts and the thread locker......

this is what I found for headbolt torque spec:

First Pass
60 N·m
44 lb ft

Final Pass
95 degrees

.....but heres my question: When I removed the front one (or left, if you prefer) I had to use a breaker bar on the bolts under the vavle cover. If I had to guess, they were torqued to 80 ft/lbs or beyond. The other 4 above the exhaust mani were suprisingly loose, like 35-40 if I had to guess. So, whats up with that? Have any of you heard of a head torqued down like this?

oh, and I found the little brass bleeder valve on the hard coolante line so Im goood to go on that. Thanks for the replys,,,,,

Torquing with a torque-angle meter is used on TTY bolts to achieve the proper amount of stretch and tension. You can also draw a line on the head of the bolt and torque that way. DO NOT judge angle by the breaker bar/ratchet because extensions and sockets twist when torquing stuff down.

tenspeed
10-22-2005, 03:19 AM
ok GM did not send enough head bolts part numbers 11518992 need 8 and part number 11518953 again need 8 So does anyone know of a place that would have these head bolts for sale on a sat. NEED ASAP!! I dont want to wait another week. We would like to work on it all sat. but can't if we dont have the bolts?? Would any auto parts store carry bolts for a 99 grand am gt v6??? lol need to finish. Thanks for any help live in chicago land area.

Someplace like a NAPA might have them. I wouldn't expect PepBoys or Autozone to have them but they might.

Sgtp
10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
thanks i found them lol

Irate
10-22-2005, 12:19 PM
ah yes, its a good day for modding... :)

Sgtp
10-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Whats the Spark Plug firing order on a 99 grand am gt 3400 v6?? is it

thanks for your help

Sgtp
10-23-2005, 01:00 PM
ok found it

Sgtp
10-23-2005, 05:18 PM
OK, we got everything together....did our oil change and are now doing a coolant flush. The car started up just fine but I have ONE problem. The first is we got a P0341 code (I believe, I might have to check it again). It means the crank shaft position sensor needs to be recalibrated, I believe. Does anyone know why this code would pop up? We had the battery undone while we were working, but doent this code only pop up if you change out the PCM???