Time to replace brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace brakes

AuroraGuy
10-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I was looking for someone that either has documented this -or- perhaps recalls any special tools/bits/sockets that I need to R&R my rotors and pads on my 00GAGT. - I am not changing out the calipers or anything else...

I have done front rotors on a GM car in the past, but never REAR disks.
I order Raybestos PG Plus rotors and the Quiet line of pads.

Thanks in advance.

-JD

Molson
10-05-2005, 07:10 AM
You don't need any special tools. A run of the mill socket set will do it.

tenspeed
10-05-2005, 08:29 AM
This is in the "How To" section. It for the Gran Prix but it should work.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270

Lab Rat
10-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Kind of off topic but, does anyone know if that bracket they speak of would fit on a GA. In the GP how to they talk about a 12 inch rotor bracket, PN 18029829. Man would that be sweet if it bolted up with no mods. I have a friend who upgraded his GTP but he found the brackets from an Olds, I think, that fit. I am gonna check this out before I do the rear disk swap but if anyone has done this, or know if it will fit, please let us know. Something I have been thinking about for some time now and I thought I would need to fab a new bracket, big $$$.

AuroraGuy
10-06-2005, 05:35 AM
This is in the "How To" section. It for the Gran Prix but it should work.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270

This was excellent.

Is there anything that I can lube (or should lube) when just replacing the stock pads and rotors (no upgrades) ?

I am not sure I see what the caliper slides on (like on a Ford)...

Thanks!

-JD

Molson
10-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Ya, lube the slides, put antiqueal on the back of the pads, all the usual stuff.

AuroraGuy
10-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Well, I completed this project this am. What a difference. No more noice and excellent brakes.

But I had a question about the front caliper bolts (not the fatter caliper bracket bolts) but the ones the calipers RIDE on...

:iconfused

When I was tightening the caliper bolts, the slide/sleeves also turned, making it virtually impossible to tighten. So, I used a visegrip needle nose and held the sleves while I tightend the bolts.

Was I missing something here?

The backs were in and tightned with no issues. Of couse that setup is a bit different.

Thanks-
JD

AuroraGuy
10-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Someone may want to put this somewhere 'sticky' but not this entire thread??

The caliper 'pins/slides' have 2 flat spots on them where one can use a 16mm open end
wrench and hold them while torquing down the caliper bolts.

It took me a long time to find this...and you have to look real close on the slides to see these flat spots - but once I got a wrench on them, I was able to correctly tighten these bolts once and for all!

-JD

tenspeed
10-10-2005, 08:18 AM
The caliper 'pins/slides' have 2 flat spots on them where one can use a 16mm open end wrench and hold them while torquing down the caliper bolts.-JD

I figured this out when my sliders were turning when I was trying to take them apart.