Not The LIM Again!?!? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Not The LIM Again!?!?

GAGT7386
10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I just got my car back from my mechanic and was told my LIM is leaking again. :rage: Third time around ... can't believe this sh**! $700 to fix a problem that GM should have put a recall out on right after these cars came out. Wish I had more time and more experience with engines, I'd just do it myself.

MantaGreen97
10-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Third time??? Wow that is nuts. I'm pretty upset I'm looking at a 2nd time... How long/how many kms ago was the 2nd fix done? I'm guessing you got the new gaskets, are you sure whomever did the work torqued the bolts all properly? Not that it matters now since it has to be done again, but you might want to make 100% sure of that this time (as in watch the guy with the torque wrench--seriously a lot of mechanics don't care to use a torque wrench at all :mad: ).

Can you see it leaking yourself? Do you have a coolant loss? Amazing that this problem continues to recur and GM is absolved of all responsibility. The replacement cost with parts and labour is worth more than the whole engine which is pretty absurd. GM won't recall it as it has nothing to do with safety and the government won't do a thing. Really they need to be slapped with a large class action suit to ever do *anything* about it.

GAGT7386
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
I had the dealership replace them both times, it has been about 20,000 miles since the 2nd fix. I cannot see the coolant leaking, but when I drive the car and let it idle there is a strong smell of antifreeze outside the car. Like it is dripping onto the mainifold and burning up before it can leak to the ground.

Is there hard evidence that these engines were in fact build poorly thus resulting in this problem? Or is this just speculation?

Braves299
10-04-2005, 10:01 PM
the 3.4 is a very solid motor minus the gasket.

Panacea
10-04-2005, 10:16 PM
So, Manta, do you know if the new gaskets eliminate the problem?

TOMGT99
10-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Damn if I had to replace that 2 or even 3 times I would get rid of my car cause that is ridiculous! If they recalled everything that is wrong with the GA there would be a whole new car lol. Also we wouldn't have no use for this website ha!