Alternator or Regulator? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Alternator or Regulator?

larryz4
10-05-2005, 09:23 AM
I had a no start situation yesterday and replaced the battery in my '94 GAGT. This morning, when I came to a stop light, the headlights and dashlights dimmed and the car stalled. It restarted immediately, but it would continue to dim and stall. The voltmeter showed 13+v while driving and when it dimmed the gauge dropped to 8V. Is this a bad regulator or is the alternator gone? Don't want to replace what I don't need to.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Coop
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Regulator is inside the alternator anyway, but first thing I'd check is for loose grounds/battery cables. A little corrosion will go a looong way.

coupe
10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
You need an alternator, get in the phone book and look for shops that rebuild alternators. Done.

larryz4
10-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the advice, I got a replacment alternator, and being as this is the first engine work I have done on the car I attacked the job with reckless abandon! The shop manual I have sucks, because the alternator replacement procedures are useless. I decided to use my intuition and tear into it. I cannot see how they expect me to get a 1/2 ratchet on the idler pulley in order to remove the serp belt, I found that cutting it works pretty well. Then for replacing it, I see that I have to remove the bracket at the top of the engine....Oh now I see where the upper motor mount is (as the engine dropped back!). I have everything back together except the motor mount and the gatorback, I assume that I will have to push the engine forward somehow, and I have decided that I can probably hook the idler pulley with something and pull to give me enough slack to get the belt in. What a pain, literally and figuratively.

If ANYONE has any helpful tips in getting this back together, I am all ears (eyes actually).

Thanks again.