Loud obnoxious drone from wheels? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loud obnoxious drone from wheels?

SilverEcstasy
10-06-2005, 07:49 AM
It seems like ever since i've had my Konig's, no matter what tires I have had on there, when I accelerate they are quiet as all hell. When I let the pedal go and maybe i'm just idling to a stop, around 30 mph to stop, theres this loud drone coming from the front end and it rattles throughout my entire car. It did this with both my old stock brakes and new brakes so i'm ruling that out. I don't think its the tires because it did it with both sets of tires i've had. What are the chances that my wheel bearings are just worn out or shot?

brsexton
10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
What are the chances that my wheel bearings are just worn out or shot?

The chances are VERY good. I had one go bad on my 03 Alero at 34k. So yeah, they can have problems at an early age.

mr_eh
10-06-2005, 11:52 AM
do you have a civic stuck under there?

SilverEcstasy
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Any idea how to identify this as the problem? Also, how much is it to fix?

AaronGAGT
10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
its your wheel bearings. Time to replace that whole assembly. Turn your wheel left to right while driving to determine what side is messed up.

SilverEcstasy
10-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Hell both sides then! Anyone know $ amount?

Ajaxus
10-06-2005, 04:34 PM
you can probably price the parts on gmpartsdirect to get an idea on that alone. i dunno about labor costs tho.

Molson
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Its cheaper now. GM techs can change em in 20-30 mins, the part should be ~200. It can be a driveway job if you have the tools. I gotta do mine soon too. :(

Panacea
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Can any damage be done if you don't replace them? I think my righ-rear bearings are shot when I hit a curb. I've had the noise for over a year.

ViperGTSR
10-06-2005, 07:00 PM
HAHAHAHA, awesome avatar.

sounds like wheel bearing. i think the ones in MY GA were going too just as i sold the POS. It should be a decent chucnk of change to get it replaced

SilverEcstasy
10-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Christ, wasn't looking to spend that kinda cash. Its been doing it for the longest time, but my co-worker finally had to point it out and I notice it every time now.

Also, here's another symptom. Headlights on, radio off, fan on low, volts still goes down to 12 (from time to time). Otherwise its at 14 when I take off. Normally i'd see a drop when I had the headlights on, radio on, defrost on and windshield wipers swiping. Sign of an alternator going bye bye?

botlfed
10-07-2005, 06:31 AM
I paid just over $100.00 per side for the wheel bearings....

a dealer will charge 1 hour labor per side to fix this......

If you need any help Mike, let me know

SilverEcstasy
10-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Oh, okay cool thanks Brandon! So someone had posted above that its the entire wheel assembly. Is that really necessary? Or just the wheel bearings.

Also, Brandon, where would you wanna work on it? My house or your house? I don't have entirely a ton of tools, but probably enough, who knows.

botlfed
10-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Either place works..... IIRC you need a 34MM or 36mm socket for the main nut on the axle and a gear puller.... both of which can be used for free from autozone....

I should be able to get all of the tools to do it at your house, or you are more than welcomed to come here....

we'll get it figured out

off to work I go...... damn 12 hours grrrrr

SilverEcstasy
10-08-2005, 07:06 PM
When do you think you can work on it? Its getting worse I think, I can feel it in the accelerator pedal now at low speeds.

botlfed
10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I am off work this week
I have to take my car to Grand Rapids on Wed. so that is out.

email me your work schedule, so we can work around it

B

SilverEcstasy
10-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Okay well I'm off sunday and tuesday. I figure I can't get the parts tomorrow so how about we shoot for tuesday? Also here is another problem question... When I start my car sometimes, I get a loud raspy snap that erupts from the engine bay. Doesn't do it all the time. And when I first start up and turn the wheel, a loud howling screech, sounds like the powering steering pump crying for help. Maybe we can check these out too? Damn car..

SilverEcstasy
10-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Well I took the car to my dad's and would you believe its not the wheel bearings? Its the damn tires! The center of the left front tire is concaved in the center. Basically on the thread, the middle section of the tread is lower than the rest of the tire! And its got waves in it as well! Don't ask me how this happened, but i'm wondering what Discount Tire will do for me seeing how I paid for the certificates and insurance.

Is it really worth getting directional tires anymore? I think I might get just a high performance all seasoner next time, this is really ridiculous.

Molson
10-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Could just be a defect, or an inflation error.

SilverEcstasy
10-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Could be. I'm not exactly sure. They're always below the max, but at a very safe psi, I make sure of that. And I haven't rotated them yet this year, but i've always noticed the drone.