Instrument panel issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Instrument panel issues

chavezgt
10-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Howdy!
Lately when I start my car, the instrument panel stays dim and the gauges all stay down and to the left (vs. having everything "light up" when you start the car). After a couple of miles, they will initiate and everything is ok. However, I'm not a fan of driving without knowing how much gas in is my car or how fast I'm going. I figure someone here would know. I don't know if it's a fuse, because the problem is intermittent...for now. Any ideas? The SVS is fickle, sometimes it's on, sometimes it isn't, and AutoZone hasn't been able to read anything.

juanvan
10-11-2005, 02:04 PM
sounds like you have a lose wire somewhere in the cluster.. or one of the wires that goes to the cluster.
The lighting up, moving of the needles is like a self check when the car starts.
If thats not happening then there is something wrong with the cluster with out getting ne codes from it.

Gl on it b/c that can be pricey if you can't find a used one cheep just to test..

chavezgt
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Well, if anyone's interested, it seems that the BCM needs to be replaced. Apparently what is taking the panel time to light up is the fact that the BCM is taking longer and longer to get through the appropriate codes until it gets to the right one. Hopefully someone else can clarify this, and hey, at least now y'all have something to go by.

chavezgt
01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
BUMP-
The BCM has been replaced and reprogrammed, and the problem still exists. Am I the only one who's had this issue? This seems weird, and anger has now set in.

02andahalfgt
01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
How old is the car?

chavezgt
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
2000 Grand Am GT

bakiller
01-03-2006, 12:16 AM
BUMP: I have the same problem on a 1999 Grand Am SE 4 cylinder. I have had this happen since I had my blinkers repairded under the recall around 6 to 9 months ago. Any Ideas one what causes this??

iceman
01-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Get the codes read, you'll need a scan tool that can speak with the BCM, like one at www.obd-2.com , or a tech 2. my guess is there will be some class 2 serial data codes set or some IPC issues...