My Car Won't Start!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My Car Won't Start!!

GrandAMGirl
10-11-2005, 02:55 AM
My car is sitting in the driveway with a full tank of gasoline and won't start. It ran earlier that day when I filled up the tank, but when I went out there a few hours later, it turned over but almost immeadiately it stalled. I put in some dry gas as well as fuel injector cleaner and let it sit for another couple of hours. I tried it again and it seemed to get closer to running a little longer but it will just not stay running for longer than three seconds.

I have had the fuel filter changed about 15,000 miles ago. I pulled a couple of plugs and they look fine.

Any other suggestions?

Irate
10-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a fuel problem - did you check your fuse for the fuel pump? Do you have any warning lights? Is the battery still good? What gas station did you fill up at?

GrandAMGirl
10-11-2005, 10:34 AM
My fueses are good, no warning lights and I filled up at the Kroger gas station up the road.
I also noticed that sometimes when I am driving, my security light will come on for no reason. When I stop my car turn it off and then re-start it the light is gone.

The last time I had my fuel filter changed, they ran a diognostics on my car and found nothing wrong and like I said before that was about 15,000 miles ago.

I am frustrated. I have a full tank of gas and cannot go anywhere!!

botlfed
10-11-2005, 10:45 AM
possible fuel pump going/went bad......

how many miles are on the car??

Lab Rat
10-11-2005, 11:34 AM
The security light would make me think passlock. The security system is supposed to keep the car from starting. If the security light is on try the relearn procedure, it's in the manual but it goes like this, turn the key to the RUN position for ten minutes. When the security light goes out turn it to the off position and it's done. Hope that will get you going.

GrahamKracka
10-11-2005, 11:37 AM
i would put money on it that its the fuel pump if it wasnt passlock

i had a simaler prob at about 45k when i had my GA

nascarnate326
10-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Passlock is my bet. Passlock is the only thing wrong with my car, and it does the same thign. Is your key worn? I was told if you can see bronze, your key needs to be replaced. My key is all bronze. I was also quoted like 45 dollars to make a replica, but you would have to check that your self. If not passlock, you get to change a fuel pump with a full tank =)

Mike Jung
10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
...I was also quoted like 45 dollars to make a replica (Key)...
Go to another Pontiac dealer!
(if you want a Pontiac logo key).

It just a regular key.
(Not like a PassKey type)

You could even go to a hardware store to have a key made (If they had that size).

GrandAMGirl
10-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Passlock is my bet. Passlock is the only thing wrong with my car, and it does the same thign. Is your key worn? I was told if you can see bronze, your key needs to be replaced. My key is all bronze. I was also quoted like 45 dollars to make a replica, but you would have to check that your self. If not passlock, you get to change a fuel pump with a full tank =)

Thank you Thank you Nascar Nate!!!

It was the passlock security in my ignition. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and order another bright shiny new key!! It was funny because when I called the dealership in the first place and I told him of my dilemma he immediately told me I needed to tow my car in so he could look at it better. Yeah Right!

Thanks Again!!

Hot_Stud18
10-12-2005, 08:22 AM
I would say its more of a passlock problem because if you can set the key to the run position for 10 minutes then try again and it works wouldnt that make it a passlock problem? Mine has been doing this all weekend:(

Panacea
10-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Thank you Thank you Nascar Nate!!!

It was the passlock security in my ignition. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and order another bright shiny new key!! It was funny because when I called the dealership in the first place and I told him of my dilemma he immediately told me I needed to tow my car in so he could look at it better. Yeah Right!

Thanks Again!!

If it's not the key, it may be the ignition cylinder.

Hope that works out for ya.

bboy_039
10-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Well if it is the ignition cylinder, get ready to pay over $500 to get it fixed. Hey, i could have been fooled at the dealer, but my cousin works for an independent shop and he told me the best place to do it was the dealer. My security light was on too, but mine was caused by my remote start that made my car think it was being stolen, FANTASTIC right? So i had it towed in and fixed, god i hate this car but i love it so much. Good luck.

digitalballz
10-17-2005, 07:36 AM
passlock owns another one!!! happens to me quite a bit.

wildblue
05-15-2006, 08:55 AM

Sorry to necro an old one...
This happened to me over the weekend (flashing security light - luckily grandamgt.com was here and I learned the whole "turn on for 11 minutes/until light stops flashing" thing) and it hasn't happened since. My question is what causes this? I know the computer doesn't 'see' the key turn, but is my ignition cylinder failing? My key doesn't look dirty/worn out. I read someone hit the cylinder with WD-40 - is that a good idea? Turn the key slower?

Y2KGA
05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry to necro an old one...
This happened to me over the weekend (flashing security light - luckily grandamgt.com was here and I learned the whole "turn on for 11 minutes/until light stops flashing" thing) and it hasn't happened since. My question is what causes this? I know the computer doesn't 'see' the key turn, but is my ignition cylinder failing? My key doesn't look dirty/worn out. I read someone hit the cylinder with WD-40 - is that a good idea? Turn the key slower?

Try another key. If that doesn't work you have two options, replace the ignition cylinder or disable passlock.

If its under warranty the pcm will have the code recorded so you can bring it the dealer even if it isn't acting up anymore.

coupe
05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
9 times out of 10 its your ignition cylinder going bad. Very rarely is it becuase of the key being worn.
Ive been dealing with this for years, im just to lazy to fix it.

wildblue
05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
9 times out of 10 its your ignition cylinder going bad. Very rarely is it becuase of the key being worn.
Ive been dealing with this for years, im just to lazy to fix it.

In your years of dealing with it, how often does it happen that you have to do the key on for 10 minutes thing? I'm cheap AND lazy, so if I can get away with it failing for years, I might just do that :D

coupe
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Well i have been modding my car since i bought it (4 years) and i figured that as long as my car will start i will just keep putting it off. So for 4 years now i have been dealing with it, it started a few months after i bought it.
As for how many times i have to deal with it, its hard to say.
Some weeks it happens EVERY time i start my car and some weeks it wont do it at all. There has been months that it never did it to me then all of a sudden its everytime i try to start it.

nascarnate326
05-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Ignition cylnder was the problem with my car too. WD40 did help but i always felt odd about putting liquid into electrical parts. Passlock is terrible in my opnion, since it seems 3/5 people on this site with GA's have this same problem. I have a jbody now and have no problems. I love it.

Coupe, mine would lock me out to say, every 1/6 times id start my car. Same thing yours does, i dont know how you can deal with it.

coupe
05-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Believe me it drives me nuts. When it dont do it for months i forget about it. Then when it happens again alot i get ready to replace it then it stops doing it and i end up buying a new mod instead lol

KeyserSosa2000
05-15-2006, 01:42 PM
lol, or you clean your car instead of modding it. :D

coupe
05-16-2006, 05:38 AM
I kinda took offense to that.
I think i have a decent amount of mods. Yes i keep my car in tip top shape, i have so much money and time in it i might as well keep it amazingly clean.

wildblue
08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Looks like I can't ignore this anymore - it's happening all the time now (about 1 in 6 tries it won't start) Anyone want to help me decide which way to go with this? :D
- New cylinder is $160, and won't I end up with 2 different keys then?
- Bypass/resistor trick looks cheap and easy. Worried about hurting resale value though.
- DEI 55L is only $30, but won't I have to leave it in valet mode or something? Effectively killing passlock and doing the same thing as the bypass method... just more expensive.

And has anyone does any of these? Just trying to get an idea if it's a DIY project. Seems like it would be. I can install a car stereo, solder, and use a volt meter.

lone_wolf025
08-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Is it one in six tries it engages passlock thus keeping it from starting?

Y2KGA
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Looks like I can't ignore this anymore - it's happening all the time now (about 1 in 6 tries it won't start) Anyone want to help me decide which way to go with this? :D
- New cylinder is $160, and won't I end up with 2 different keys then?
- Bypass/resistor trick looks cheap and easy. Worried about hurting resale value though.
- DEI 55L is only $30, but won't I have to leave it in valet mode or something? Effectively killing passlock and doing the same thing as the bypass method... just more expensive.

And has anyone does any of these? Just trying to get an idea if it's a DIY project. Seems like it would be. I can install a car stereo, solder, and use a volt meter.

The new cylinder can be keyed to your existing key. The dealer did it for me when I had mine changed.

wildblue
08-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Is it one in six tries it engages passlock thus keeping it from starting?
Correct. Have to do the 'wait 10 minutes' thing. Very annoying when you're already running late for work. 1 in 6 might be exaggerating, but it's a lot, and happening more often.

The new cylinder can be keyed to your existing key. The dealer did it for me when I had mine changed.
I was hoping to save some $$ and do it myself. Anyone have tips on how to do this if I try to change the cylinder myself?

coupe
08-30-2006, 05:22 AM
Correct. Have to do the 'wait 10 minutes' thing. Very annoying when you're already running late for work. 1 in 6 might be exaggerating, but it's a lot, and happening more often.

I was hoping to save some $$ and do it myself. Anyone have tips on how to do this if I try to change the cylinder myself?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45019&highlight=ignition+cylinder

wildblue
08-30-2006, 09:01 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45019&highlight=ignition+cylinder
Sorry, I should have been more clear: I meant how do I code the cylinder to use my current key? (so I don't have to change the doors/trunk)
The more I read about this, the more I think I might just bypass the stupid thing...

Boostd94
09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
the dealer would probably have to het the new cylinder setup to your o;d key either wth the key or by the vin, i need to change mine too, my car always starts but you have to wiggle the key around to make it turn!! LOL

UNCTYPE-S
09-05-2006, 12:04 PM
So no start + Security light blinking for 10 min = just a reset?