Performance Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Performance Help

wvufresh
10-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the engine of an '03 Grand Am GT. I would like it to have somewhere between 235-250 hp and would like it to sound somewhat like a new GTO. Any helpful hints?

atc3434
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Search buttons up at the top. Research exhaust, intake, headers, and DHP PCM. Those would be a good start, probably in that order. That would put you at roughly 200-210hp at the crank. A cam from Milzy Motorsports would easly make that 230+hp at the crank, in your range of what you want. RSM makes a supercharger, that'll defintely get you 250+ at the crank. Sounding like a new GTO isn't gonna happen, but an SLP or Flowmaster exhaust sounds pretty mean and muscle car like. I have a cutout on mine, makes a mean idle, but gets pretty raspy when you wind it up. Search and do some research, I figured I'd jump in and be nice before you got slaughtered by the newbie killers screaming about the search.

Braves299
10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Do you go to WVU??

UNCTYPE-S
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
you want power? dont do it to a grand am. You want to sound like a GTO? You have a 6cyl........wont happen. You will understand why I answered that after searching and experiencing.

welcome to the site though.

MetaGTP1
10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the engine of an '03 Grand Am GT. I would like it to have somewhere between 235-250 hp and would like it to sound somewhat like a new GTO. Any helpful hints?Buy and install an SC.

notsoaveragej0e
10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
buy and install a GTO.

badboy2451
10-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the engine of an '03 Grand Am GT. I would like it to have somewhere between 235-250 hp and would like it to sound somewhat like a new GTO. Any helpful hints?

what parta carnegie you from??? i live right in crafton so ive prolly seen you around

eric99gt
10-12-2005, 07:53 PM
you want power? dont do it to a grand am. You want to sound like a GTO? You have a 6cyl........wont happen. You will understand why I answered that after searching and experiencing.

welcome to the site though.

god damn people...he didn't ask if he should do it or not. He asked how. Stop telling people to shy away from making their car fast. Who the f%^* cares if it's not a 13 second car from the factory. It's fun and it is possible. So just stfu already and let the damn guy do what he wants. It's people like you that are the exact reason that there aren't as many aftermarket parts available for our cars.

On to the original question. Start with a CAI. If you feel like going further than search after that.

atc3434
10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
god damn people...he didn't ask if he should do it or not. He asked how. Stop telling people to shy away from making their car fast. Who the f%^* cares if it's not a 13 second car from the factory. It's fun and it is possible. So just stfu already and let the damn guy do what he wants. It's people like you that are the exact reason that there aren't as many aftermarket parts available for our cars.

On to the original question. Start with a CAI. If you feel like going further than search after that.

I agree 100% with everything you just said, I hate the don't bother attitude. Hell ya bother, might as well get the respect for having one of the few modded and quick GAs. I love being someplace, smoking somebody unsuspecting, and them being like wow, thats pretty fast, cool.

Ok, so 99% of what you said I agree with, I'd defintely do exhaust before a CAI. More gains to be had on a stock car.

UNCTYPE-S
10-12-2005, 08:22 PM
i only speak the truth..........enough said. Dont sit here and say that its easy to hit 235-250hp. It's not so dont lie to the guy. He's going to spend thousands of dollars to make his car maybe a second faster. Then he's going to post why his car isnt fast. Happens everytime. Theirs only a few handful here who have spent the time and money to actually get a respectable time out of a grand am, and what's the time??.......mid 13-14??. Most just waste their money, because frankly grand am's are not fast and will never be unless there is serious work done.

Everyone says......"oh go with intake and exhaust first". LETS ALL WAKE UP..........thats baby b.s and it's not going to do sh!t to his car but sound good.

If he wants to do it because it's fun, then i support him all the way, but if hes looking for 235-250 from a stock motor grand am.........goodluck and have fun with that. I stand by my word.

Im the reason why there's no aftermarket?? riiiiiight dude, cause there's distributors all over the world rushing to come make parts for the grand am, but saw my post so they hesitated. :rolleyes:

pyro
10-12-2005, 08:24 PM
cool it boys...

02andahalfgt
10-12-2005, 08:40 PM

Yep, that's good for 250hp. :rolleyes:
Don't sugar coat it for the guy, he's 19 and obviously inexperienced with GAs. They're not power machines, and unless WVUfresh has his life savings to dump into the car he's not going to get the power he's looking for (and it'll NEVER sound like a GTO). He must be in college if his sn has WVU in it, so dude, concentrate on school, graduate, get a good job and buy a GTO. Grand Ams are nice, hell I love mine even though I still think it's a steaming pile. But why not be realistic? They aren't fast cars and aren't intended to be. We can't all go putting the time and money into them like some members have. Sure they've made them plenty fast, and I'd never dog them for it, but when's the last time Sweppe posted all of his receipts? It takes money, a lot, more than most college students have. Why put yourself in deeper debt for a Grand Am?? ;psycho

02andahalfgt
10-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Im the reason why there's no aftermarket?? riiiiiight dude, cause there's distributors all over the world rushing to come make parts for the grand am, but saw my post so they hesitated. :rolleyes:

Damnit Jim, I knew it was you all along! You're the reason my car is slow, make it fast now!

crazypontiac03
10-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Like Jon,Jim said. IF you want Performance dont get a GA. The GA is nothing more then a Grocey Getter. Dont get me wrong u can make it look sick. But ur never going to get any power coming from the GA, as under powered as it was from the factory, not to mention the motor is 1 million year's old. Just sell it and Buy a Goat, better yet a Camaro

MetaGTP1
10-12-2005, 09:00 PM
In retrospect, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't. It takes too much money to make this car fast. The smart thing to do is, buy a fast car to begin with and then build on it. A GTO is looking mighty nice these days.

UNCTYPE-S
10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
^thank you. And that is from a BOOST BRO. You heard it first.

crazypontiac03
10-12-2005, 09:12 PM
In retrospect, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't. It takes too much money to make this car fast. The smart thing to do is, buy a fast car to begin with and then build on it. A GTO is looking mighty nice these days.

Thank You. Biggest Mistake i made was buy my GA. Didnt want it when i bought it. When i found there was not much to be done without alot of $$, i really didnt want it. Dont get me wrong it was a nice looking car. But Other then that it was a money pit.

atc3434
10-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I love the ex-GA guys with all the GA bashing. They've moved on to such superior rides, so the GA is a money pit thats not worth anybodies time. Isn't this site about supporting people interested in modding the GA? He didn't ask if it was a good idea to mod the GA, he asked how to do it. Sure, its not the perfect car for modding, but its not the worst either. And there is defintely something to be said for sleepers. Xeolith is doing 13.9 or better on a heads/cam GA with bolts ons, thats not too shabby. Shoot, my ride will be 270hp at the crank as soon as I nail down some juice. I'd have less that $2,000 invested after juice, and probably nailing down low low 14s. And I'll tell ya what, the outdated motor will take that juice day after day w/o batting an eye. The tranny, maybe (probably) not. Imagine if Xeolith juiced, 12s, easy.

So, his goals are pretty in reach, it'll take some bucks, but its not outrageous. And to have a sleeper is one of the best things in the world. Whats more impressive to say a GTP owner, or maybe a Talon TSI, getting pulled on by a GA, or a GTO? Everybodies got their opinions, but I'm enjoying my money pit. Can't we let othres enjoy theirs?

Ajaxus
10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
wow, im surprised the mods havent stumbled across this thread yet. damn.

SC/TGrandAm
10-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I love the ex-GA guys with all the GA bashing. They've moved on to such superior rides, so the GA is a money pit thats not worth anybodies time. Isn't this site about supporting people interested in modding the GA? He didn't ask if it was a good idea to mod the GA, he asked how to do it. Sure, its not the perfect car for modding, but its not the worst either. And there is defintely something to be said for sleepers. Xeolith is doing 13.9 or better on a heads/cam GA with bolts ons, thats not too shabby. Shoot, my ride will be 270hp at the crank as soon as I nail down some juice. I'd have less that $2,000 invested after juice, and probably nailing down low low 14s. And I'll tell ya what, the outdated motor will take that juice day after day w/o batting an eye. The tranny, maybe (probably) not. Imagine if Xeolith juiced, 12s, easy.

So, his goals are pretty in reach, it'll take some bucks, but its not outrageous. And to have a sleeper is one of the best things in the world. Whats more impressive to say a GTP owner, or maybe a Talon TSI, getting pulled on by a GA, or a GTO? Everybodies got their opinions, but I'm enjoying my money pit. Can't we let othres enjoy theirs?

I think your wrong, just wait till you blow up your first transmission and have to replace it... id be willing to bet you change your mind about the GA as being a mod worthy car. ....and when you start juicing your ga thats when the problems start, take examples from PACE, bottlefed (i think?) and some others and ask them what happened...

Back on topic to the GA being a waste of time to spend a lot of money on. I think it would be worth it to put a CAI on DHP, exhaust, and minor bolt ons like that. If you want to spend the money for more, then more power to you, but its a waste for one its not going to get you very fast vs what you pay vs what other cars could be doing with the same amount of dough, secondly you never get close to your money back out of the car after you do this. Take examples from the guys that have spent tons of money on their GA and replaced transmissions because they were never made to withstand the power and see what they say. 9/10 of the guys who had fast GA's demodded them and said it wasn't worth the hassle and got a diffrent car, whats that say? Just like Keith said if your wanting a fast car its better to buy a performance based car with some potential rather than a car with very little to no potential... but whatever do what you want.

Irate
10-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Frankly, all of you vets are full of bs. UNC - you especially, please leave this forum.

Anyways, intake and exahust are not useless, nor pointless. Ask any other serious car forum and they'll say to do intake/exhaust before starting any major mods. Its a paradigme - they come first.

The reason why most of you bitch is because we didn't have good camshafts out for our cars when we all had the GA mod bug. If you go to a forum like LS1tech.com, they'll laugh at you if you do heads/intake/exhaust without doing a cam swap - its the piece that has been holding us up so bad. So my second suggest would be headers, camshaft, and a computer tune. Want to keep going further? Get some ported heads and a TB - you should be high 13's after that; and that's NA.

Now, to all of you who say it costs too much blah blah blah. Take my TA for example:
Intake: $175
TB: $350
Cat-back: $675
Headers/Y/Cats: $1200
Cam swap w/ valvetrain: $650
Ported heads: $1800
Computer/dyno tune: $500

Where the hell do you guys get that its too expensive to mod the GA from? I seriously don't want to hear it anymore because its all crap.

[edit] Anyone who disagrees with me please PM me, xonelith, or xxbackhillxx