Fuel Injector Service [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injector Service

WrestlingTerp
10-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I was told today, when I was having my car serviced, that my fuel injectors should be cleaned every 15,000 miles. The owner's manual doesn't mention it.

When should I have them cleaned?

Thanks!

Rich
10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
15000 sounds right. if they get pretty clogged you can tell a difference.

digitalballz
10-12-2005, 07:37 PM
and just how is he going to clean them??? is he going to take them off?? sounds like hes gonna screw you hard. If anything go buy yourslef some fuel system cleaner. some techron or something. If you get something stuck in your injectors its cuz your fuel filter let it get thru, which means you should have changed that sooner. Dont let him take you for a ride.

Rich
10-12-2005, 07:42 PM
well i think its more of a flush or whatever. like when your exhaust starts to smell like sulfur its what youre supposed to do. then the clean the TB i think. i dont know, but its not fake. fuel injection? instead of just injectors.

videoman
10-12-2005, 08:29 PM
best stuff i find is seafoam. Place about 50% of the can in a full tank of gas and then the other half in the oil. Best to do it a week before you do a oil change. The stuff cleans the fuel system and deposits all over. I just used it on my car last week and it feels smoother when I idle and accell is a bit better.

Mike Jung
10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
and just how is he going to clean them??? is he going to take them off?? sounds like hes gonna screw you hard. If anything go buy yourslef some fuel system cleaner. some techron or something. If you get something stuck in your injectors its cuz your fuel filter let it get thru, which means you should have changed that sooner. Dont let him take you for a ride.

I bet Seth/Iceman would have an opinion on that.

They hook-up pressurized cleaner to the fuel rail & disconnect the fuel pump fuse.
& run the engine on the 'cleaner'.
Fuel Injector Flush Cleaning Service.
It is the strongest cleaner that you could run.

IMO, get the fuel filter changed also.
Get the oil changed after getting this service done.

digitalballz
10-13-2005, 04:24 PM
it may work, but how often do you really have this problem??? Do you really think they need to be cleaned every 15k?? I dont. I', not saying that it wont help, but he's got a 2004 so I highly doubt he needs this kind of service. If he was producing a lean trouble code or a misfire code then i would say go for it.

Panacea
10-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Lets put it this way. I had the dealer clean my fuel injectors just like how Mike described. Probably about 5,000-10,000 (leaning more towards 5,000) miles my fuel injectors were clogged, yet again. For the next three months I put seafoam in the gas tank (along with running it through the PCV valve) and it helped out for about a month, then I'd have to repeat the process. By the third month a fuel injector was stuck open (or closed?) and the dealer had to run the cleaning stuff through again. They got the injector unclogged, but they replaced it anyway.

So far, a month later, the injectors seem to be doing well.

WrestlingTerp
10-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah, it's a 2004 that I got in February. I put a lot of miles on it and I'm over 17,000 already. I'll probably hold off on the fuel injectors until I get to 25,000 and take it to the dealership for service. If they recommend it I'd feel better than Jiffy Lube doing it.

Midrange plans are to turn it over to my daughter in a couple of years when she starts driving. At least that was my plan when I bought it since a good friend of mine is a regional VP with a national dealership chain. I got a great deal on it.

But I have to admit the Grand Am has grown on me since I got it!

Steve

iceman
10-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Here's my take on injector cleaning.. I've had to have it done by the dealer (where they hook the cleaner up to the fuel rail and run the car off that) twice so far because of a clogged injector. Symptoms are lack of acceleration, slight msifire, and a somewhat rough idle. Since then I've stopped using the gas additives and I haven't needed a cleaning again. All that crap does is waste your money and clog injectors. I believe if you go to your auto parts store they do sell detergent that hooks to the fuel rail, might save you a few bucks over having the dealer do it. But, it is worth it IMO.

As far as preventative maintenance goes, it doesn't hurt to have done once a year when you change your fuel filter and do your annual tuneup..
Clogged injectors in our car are a PITA to troubleshoot because they pose as something you would think would be ignition system related

The_Wraith
10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah, can you buy the can of cleaner that screws to the fuel rail and do this yourself?

brsexton
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
My dealer says flush the injectors every 30k..

bigtard
10-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Lets put it this way. I had the dealer clean my fuel injectors just like how Mike described. Probably about 5,000-10,000 (leaning more towards 5,000) miles my fuel injectors were clogged, yet again. For the next three months I put seafoam in the gas tank (along with running it through the PCV valve) and it helped out for about a month, then I'd have to repeat the process. By the third month a fuel injector was stuck open (or closed?) and the dealer had to run the cleaning stuff through again. They got the injector unclogged, but they replaced it anyway.

So far, a month later, the injectors seem to be doing well.

Is it just more or does that seem absolutely unacceptable to anyone else? Absolutely no modern car should require that sort of maintenance at such frequent intervals.

Panacea
10-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Is it just more or does that seem absolutely unacceptable to anyone else? Absolutely no modern car should require that sort of maintenance at such frequent intervals.

My guess I had the bad fuel injector all along. It just needed to be replaced. So far, one month later, I haven't had any problems.