Cleaning Egr Ports? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Egr Ports?

ram
10-13-2005, 12:06 PM
My '95GA has a check engine light come on every now and then, mostly traveling at highway speeds and then the light comes on after a quick decell. I've heard the EGR ports need cleaning. If so, is this pretty much staight forward? Are the ports just under the EGR valve itself? Should I just use regular carb cleaner and shoot it down inside the ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :iconfused

atc3434
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Carb cleaner in the port under the egr valve wouldn't hurt, but I think you ought to get the code read and find out exactly what the light is for.

ram
10-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I won't need a new EGR valve.

atc3434
10-13-2005, 12:20 PM
What makes you sure its even the EGR system at all? There are a bunch of things that can be throwing the light on. Car having any other weird problems?

ram
10-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Actually no. I went to get my emmsions tested and it didn't pass. I got a tune up thinking that would take care of the problem, it didn't. The emmsions place had a list of what the possible causes could be, timing, fuel injectors, etc. that's why I got the tune up. The egr system was one of two other things on that list that was causing the problem. The other being o2 sensors. A guy at BIG 10 tires suggested the port cleaning and it more than likely was not the o2 sensors.

atc3434
10-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Check out getting the code read, A place like Pep-boys or another autoparts store should be able to tell you what is up. No sense chacing a problem blind when the PCM is gonna tell you what the issue is.

digitalballz
10-13-2005, 04:19 PM
actually does sound like you egr is sticking open, causing the light to come on when you slow down at highway speeds.

ram
10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info....I'll get it checked out.