Ebraking and burnout methods [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ebraking and burnout methods

sonicfrequency
10-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, just wondering how bad it is to ebrake the car to do a burnout. Tonight in the home depot parking lot with some rain on the asphalt, I kept the ebrake on and got the tires roasting a little bit. Felt the car pull a whole lot, didnt seem good on the ebrake. Also tried holding the brake pedal down and revvin it up to like 2500 to 3000 rpm and then let off the brake, I heard the brakes scratch while i was doing it, that didnt sound too good.

Also, what are any other good methods to doing some good burnouts?

thanks guys

sOnIc

boost21
10-13-2005, 09:00 PM
buy a rwd muscle car? :crazy: :p lol i wouldn't trust my car doin a burnout, it'll prolly blow up lol

Mike Jung
10-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Some people have too much money :rolleyes:

I know my Bridgestone Ponteza RE-950 & Blizzak LM-22 tires cost me a pretty penny.

I wouldn't be so worried about the brakes.
I would be more worried about temperatures of the ATF (tranny fluid), engine oil & the engine coolant.
You over heat those, & it is bad news.

& make sure you don't do a 1-wheel burnout !!!

MSJHWT
10-13-2005, 09:39 PM
& make sure you don't do a 1-wheel burnout !!!
Thats my biggest concern doing burnouts, can't wait to get a built tranny + LSD. If you notice smoke coming from one side and not the other, STOP.
Ebrake + getting on the gas is the best way to do a burnout in a GA. That being said, don't except a MONSTER burnout in a GA. Ebrake can take the abuse IMHO, I'd be more concerned about the 1 wheel hop as stated.
As for launching, which is what you were doing braking + revving + letting off, probably wont really hurt anything...wear out your rotors + pads quicker, but not going to burn out doing that, just get a little squeeling wheels.

crazypontiac03
10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Buy a RWD Pick-up. Ive only done it once since i got the truck. It was awesome. I didnt get them to hot but enough to were i ****ed some people off in the Jewel Parking lot.

sonicfrequency
10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
:metal:

atc3434
10-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Also remember, even with ETS off, the stock PCM will start limiting power when your spinning the tires. YES, even with ETS off. So yea, ebraking works, if your ebrake is strong enough. Mine won't hold the car, it'll burn the tires, but it won't hold still.

89yotarollagts
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Real good advise telling him to get a new car lol cmon !

best way ive seen this done on a FWD car is to get a friend who owns an SUV most likely he will do this because he gets a front row seat to the action.. get a chain/tow rope and connect one end to the truck and the other to a tow point on the car... make up for the slack in the line, keep your wheel straight give lil smile and give her hell.. no need for e brake.. no matter how many times you do this you wont be able to hold the car back ive had a few people even hold my car from the trunk and still after time it gets more & more traction to the point where you cant hold it back... this way is much more effective... another cool way to do a burnout is to get 2 cookie sheets (used for baking) drive the rear wheels onto them, crank the e brake and have a blast in an EMPTY PARKING LOT !!!!

and last but not least have fun, hope to god nuthing breaks, & for petes sake get it on video !!

nascarnate326
11-06-2005, 06:19 PM
On smooth black top my car will stay put and do a burnout, i dont ever let it go for more then just a couple seconds. Just enough to see a tiny bit of smoke. But it wouldnt supprise me if it snowed this week so that season is over for me.

GrahamKracka
11-06-2005, 07:12 PM
both of my new vehicles do real good burnouts haha :thumbs:

SpyhunteR
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
ebrake + burnout is a um... good thing for those of us about to be using drag tires....

nice input that the pcm is still going to deny me the power needed, jesus.

magyver
11-13-2005, 10:10 PM
yeah, your not hurting your ebrake, a brake is designed to stop you.. so if it dosent, then its bad... its no differnt than when you are going 55 and push on the brake...

as for a burnout, i ALWAYS get posi.. i just use tireshine and spray it all over my tires (just to get them started) they spin so eaisily w/ tireshine on them! and any ebrake will hold em... ive done a couple... also, use cheap tires, my 89 cavy auto lost 3rd gear, so it would never go above 45mph.. so it was no good and i paid 150 for it.. so, long story short, i burned off a set of brand new tires... i was doing 20 mph reverse drops then when it stopped going backwards, hit the ebrake... then crank the wheel left and right, could do a freakin dognut in FWD.. kinda goofy.. but what ultimatly killed that is that i had to use dogunts causei burned up all my tires and the tranny still held, but all i had was a 13" and a 14".. so WTF, i put em on, 1st drop and they spun crazy, but then i shot a gear through the pan, and started the ditch on fire... had to coast the car home down a hill.. (lived on a farm, WTF is a poor country boy supposed to do for fun?) i wish i had a server, i got endless vids of burnouts.. mostly w/ my s-10's.. got a 4min one, did it till she popped...

but for the GA, its not the greatest on it.. but the least amount of damage will occure when you catch posi.. if you dont... it could be fatal...

tejohnson
11-13-2005, 10:42 PM
You guys must want to rebuild the tranny soon... lol

As mentioned above, Traction Control is not the only thing to worry about. There is also torque abuse and differential score protection modes. The PCM pull fuel, timing, and in some cases, the injectors. I had this problem initially, I would do a burnout, and the car would immediately stall...

magyver
11-14-2005, 09:48 PM
You guys must want to rebuild the tranny soon... lol

As mentioned above, Traction Control is not the only thing to worry about. There is also torque abuse and differential score protection modes. The PCM pull fuel, timing, and in some cases, the injectors. I had this problem initially, I would do a burnout, and the car would immediately stall...

if you catch posi, they both spin at the EXACT same speeds, how is that any differnt than when your rolling down the road? and if your tires are smoking, its no more load on the tranny than if you got 5 people in there and you give it from a stop...

i say its only bad if you do it for a long time that the tranny doesnt have any air flow or anything to cool it down, but a 20 sec little smoke show w/ posi isnt gonna hurt ****!

tejohnson
11-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Sorry, shoulda clarified. This was with an EP LSD. 2 black marks ;) Just depends on how much you spin I suppose, or what the estimated torque is in the PCM. You can do whatever you want really... It's your car ;)