Whole Gauge Cluster Swap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whole Gauge Cluster Swap

ttah8
10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I was just wondering if I were to completely switch gauge clusters, does the mileage it reads come from some computer on MY car, or does it come from like an onboard computer on the cluster. I've heard that it the mileage is kept somewhere on each specific car, and the gauge cluster just displays it.

RamAirGT22
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
I think it's in the cluster and I think you need to do some kind of reset too with this.

H.O. Driver
10-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Its kept in the cluster and the PCM, you can get a different cluster from a junkyard and it will pick up where that mileage left off on the other cluster, but when the dealer scans the car when its in fore service and the tech II shows the mileage on the PCM and the mileage on the cluster or more than 10 miles or so off, they throw a red flag and investigate mileage fraud.

The safest bet is to get a PCM and cluster from the same car, but then you have to worry about them checking the VIN #s since the PCM's won't match the cars and the process starts over again.

Or if you don't plan on taking it in for service ever (I wish) you can just do the cluster swap, sell it private party and let them deal with it if they ever figure it out.