How many hours do you put on your oil change interval [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do you put on your oil change interval

Mike Jung
10-14-2005, 07:50 PM
This idea came up based on a chat here...

Stats:
A guy does 13K km / 8k miles on his '04 GAGT.
His oil change light has not come on yet.
Almost all highway driving literally.
Using GM / Mobil Drive Clean dino oil.

@ 100km/h (62mph) on the highway.
13K km = 130 hours used on the oil.
(Which I feel is easy on the oil; because of the highway cruising.)

Note on my '99 GA: The oil change monitor limit if the light hasn't come on; is to change it at 12.5K km (7.8K miles) or 1-year time period.

I told him to change the oil & oil filter to be on the conservative side & to follow GM's recommendations for warranty coverage.
I suggested on the ultra-conservative side: to use a PAO based synthetic oil like Mobil 1 for 10K km (6.2K miles) oil change intervals.
Which it should handle easily, especially if a dino oil could handle it.

Now I have read elsewhere:
Some trucks have a hours meter of when the engine is running.
Recommend changing out the oil after 200-hours max on dino oil.

I do 6-months oil change intervals.
Using German Castrol Syntec 0W30 PAO with Ester blended based synthetic motor oil.
About 6K km (3.7K miles) in the 6-months.
I estimate about 156-hours used on the oil in 6-months.
(Which I feel is almost nothing on a long-life rated oil that specs ACEA A3 & Mercedes-Benz 229.5)
I figure I could probably go 1-year oil change intervals with my mileage, & hours used on the oil.

Anyone have a thought on how many hours a oil can last in use ?
(our oil change monitor counts rpm during the engine's time on, which is a more sophisticated method than a hours meter.)

Any estimates on how many hours you put your GA's oil to use before changing it out ?

digitalballz
10-15-2005, 06:11 AM
dont really think about hours, but I know i wouldnt go to far over 3,000 miles or 3 months. Even with a synthetic oil I dont go over.

Mike Jung
10-15-2005, 04:00 PM
dont really think about hours, but I know i wouldnt go to far over 3,000 miles or 3 months.
Even with a synthetic oil I dont go over.
lol

You realize that the guy I was referiring to in the beginning, did it almost all highway driving.

3K miles = 4.8K km

Cruising at about 2K rpm using cruise control at 100km/h (62mph).
The oil over 3K miles would only see 48.3-hours of use on the oil.
That is just wasting oil to change it that early.

But case in point, if you where averaging 50km/h (31mph) at in city driving.
3K miles would see about 96.5-hours of use.

The new 'Dino' API SM / GF-4 rated oils can handle that easily in our stock engines.
(Better base stock for dino oil must be used to satisfy that standard.)

I've read long-life rated sythetic motor oils can last from 200-300 hours.
Example: ACEA A3 & Mercedes-Benz 229.5 spec'd synthetic oil (like German Castrol Syntec 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40) in a Mercedes or Porsche can last up to 30K km/18.6K miles (depending on the conditions & oil change monitor system) or once a year oil changes.
30K km @ 100km/h = 300-hours of use on the oil.

PS: Castrol in UK has released/soon to release Castrol Edge 0W30 synthetic motor oil (http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9004867&contentId=7008887).
It is long life rated up to 50K km/31K miles or 2-years use in BMW's & Mercedes programmed for that oil in it's oil change monitor system.
Keep in mind oil in some European countries, it costs almost $100US for a 4L jug of synthetic motor oil.

atc3434
10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I go 4500k miles during the school year, its 95% highway, 700 miles a week. I shoot for 3000 during the summer, lots more city/backcountry/racing type driving. ;)

GrahamKracka
10-15-2005, 05:30 PM
7.8k miles a year?........i think i put out in the range of 20k a year...damn..

nascarnate326
10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
76.9 hours is what I came up with. Thats for 5000 miles at 65 mph. Very consertive and my math is prolly wrong but thats what i came up with. I just go 5000 miles on mobile and havnt had any problem yet. Had to have intake gaskets changed, but ive been told thats a fairly common problem. Up to 123k miles on the GA. Just my .02

digitalballz
10-15-2005, 06:49 PM
umm ok so its a waste for me to take better care of my car??? how is that? I do barley any driving maybe 100 miles per week, mostly city, but still not much. I work in a garage, so I do an oil change after work, and it costs me all of NOTHING!!!!!!

Mike Jung
10-15-2005, 06:59 PM
umm ok so its a waste for me to take better care of my car??? how is that? I do barley any driving maybe 100 miles per week, mostly city, but still not much. I work in a garage, so I do an oil change after work, and it costs me all of NOTHING!!!!!!
Not for you.

But the other guy I was originally talking about in the first post.

He does almost all highway driving.
He would be changing his oil very frequently, based on his driving pattern.

bigbenSC
10-15-2005, 07:34 PM
With my lease car I drive until the oil life monitor goes to zero: about 7,500 miles for the last two times. When I owned the GA I did it every 3,000-3,500. I don't think of it in hours.