Serious trans issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Serious trans issue

DarkKnight
10-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Has anyone ever encountered thier TQ converter frozen onto the input shaft and the trans just seized up? I picked up a 19k mile 4T45e, and I test ran my motor a few times 2 days ago for no more than 1 min each. The motor is idling at 4k rpms, lol. Anyway, I went to start it yesterday and the motor won't crank, so I drop the starter and try to turn the motor by hand, no go. I pull the motor and trans, undo the trans from the motor, and it won't slide off. I pry the hell outta the trans (snapping a piece pf the bellhousing off in the process) until I can slide a wrench in and undo the flexplate/converter bolts and the trans drops off. The converter is just fully seized onto the trans. The output shafts rotate fine, but the input is hard stuck.

Any *useful* thoughts?

Coop
10-16-2005, 11:31 AM
You should take the flexplate bolts out before unbolting the trans. I'm assuming by output shafts you mean the final drive where the axles slide in. If I had to guess there's probably nothing wrong with the trans but the converter is either stuck in lockup mode with the tranny in park or the converter is mechanically fubar. It should just pull straight out of the transmission.

DarkKnight
10-17-2005, 04:05 PM
You should take the flexplate bolts out before unbolting the trans.

Yeah, I know that, but it's kinda hard to do when the flexplate won't turn. ;) One of the bolts was unreachable. In any case, the trans should slide right off the converter no matter what.

I'm assuming by output shafts you mean the final drive where the axles slide in.

That's not actually called the final drive. The final drive is something else. However, you are correct in the part I'm refering to.

If I had to guess there's probably nothing wrong with the trans but the converter is either stuck in lockup mode with the tranny in park or the converter is mechanically fubar. It should just pull straight out of the transmission.

Even if the converter were somehow stuck in lock up, it should still rotate, it would just be hard to turn. What I'm saying is, it doesn't rotate at all. In additition, it won't come off the trans at all. I pried on the damn thing for over an hour and it didn't budge.

What I'm thinking might have happened, is the pump siezed up and the converter got meshed against the inputshaft splines hard. So hard that it refuses to come off any more. I'll know more when I get it apart this week. :huh:

Coop
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
:doh: didn't even think about it being seized up when I was thinking of the converter bolts.

You think it's possible the converter is fubar'ed enough inside that the stator/impeller/rotor all became "mechanically intermingled" ? l0l. Never heard of it happening but then again I never heard of a converter seized into a transmission either.