replacing a water pump on a 95??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : replacing a water pump on a 95???

95RedGAGT
10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
hey i need some professional help i am getting ready to replace a water pump on my 95 grand am gt quad 4. I was wandering if this task is going to be more than i can handle. i am 17 years old have a starter set of tools and curently taking automotive courses....ya think i can handle this??

onesexyga
10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I have pretty basic skills and i was able to do it on my 93 3.3. Not very complicated, just time consuming. Might be more room on the 4. For me it was a very tight space. Change the belt while youre in there too. If you do it yourself its a pretty inexpensive job.

Braves299
10-17-2005, 09:24 PM
hey i need some professional help i am getting ready to replace a water pump on my 95 grand am gt quad 4. I was wandering if this task is going to be more than i can handle. i am 17 years old have a starter set of tools and curently taking automotive courses....ya think i can handle this??

Not sure about the older gen. But it was a breeze to change on mine (99). Someone did a good "How to" on here. Just search for it, it may help you.

95RedGAGT
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
thanks guys anyone know where i could find a step by step guide?

Mike Jung
10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Remember guys, he has a 'Quad 4'.

If it is anything like the 2.4L & 2.2L 4-cylinders; it is a PITA !!!
The water pump being driven by the timing chain.
Book labour rate of 6-hours !

(our 3.4L V6 engine is driven off of the rubber accessory belt (& easier). It is only a book labour rate of 1-hour.)

If it is anything like the newer 4-cylinders; take it to a mechanic.
& also change: the thermostat & timing chain tensioner.

http://www.sikmindz.com/ga/jyung%20copy.gif

95RedGAGT
10-17-2005, 10:00 PM
yes it is a 2.3 and that was what i was scared of hearing because i heard something before about a timing chain and that is gonna suck thanks anyways