window regulator [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : window regulator

zelda4325
10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
My window regulator on my front drivers side window is broken im bpretty sure. I was make ing noises when i shut the door. My question is is this what i need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04-GRAND-AM-WINDOW-REGULATOR-motor-pontiac-4DR-FT-LH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38657QQitemZ80066884 17QQrdZ1

Thanks

zelda4325
10-18-2005, 03:47 PM
the end of last month i got a new warrenty from warrentydirect. I got the majorcare(just the big price items it covers. I calle dthem and it is covered. The problem is I have to pay for the repar then get get reimbursed but warrenty direct. Im kinda of upset that it was covreed becaus ei wanted to try and repair it myself t prove to gf dad that i do know some stuff about cars. Most of the stuff is from here. so thank you grandamgt

freakydeaky
10-19-2005, 07:25 AM
if in fact your regulator is broken, then yeah... that's the part you need.... have you taken off the door panel to make sure it isn't just the clips?

zelda4325
10-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I believe i read somewhere that you couldnt just replace teh clips you have to replace teh whole thing beacsue they dont sell them anywhere. Im going to take teh door panel off today. The car is going in tommorow.

freakydeaky
10-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I believe i read somewhere that you couldnt just replace teh clips you have to replace teh whole thing beacsue they dont sell them anywhere. Im going to take teh door panel off today. The car is going in tommorow.

recently the dealers starting carrying just the clips... they're called retainer clips... the information you came across is now incorrect... i'm pretty sure you have to get the clips from the dealer

zelda4325
10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
My car is in the shop waiting fo rthe window regulater to get there. If it is in tommorow i will have my car back tommorow too yea. Total cost 280 but will be free thanmks to my warrenty.

digitalballz
10-20-2005, 01:22 PM
wow not a bad price. i know we did a regulator on an 01 GP and the part cost around $350. Of cours you couldnt get just the reg. from the dealer it came with the motor as well.

1hotgagt
10-20-2005, 07:48 PM
you can just replace the clips the dealer sells them for about 8 bucks

stanjk3
10-29-2005, 09:57 AM

They want to sell you the whole thing, not just the clips. The dealer told me the same thing, that they don't sell the clips seperately. You can buy them from GMpartsdirect.com
Here's the updated parts numbers:

Part numbers 22622376 and 22622377 have been replaced by part number
12335482, has been replaced by part number 22697623.
12335484, has been replaced by part number 22697622.
12335483, has been replaced by part number 22697622.
12335485, has been replaced by part number 22697623.

ryGT1
10-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Stan, do you have any idea which part number is for which clip?

One of my clips broke: 2 door, pas. side, back clip.

stanjk3
10-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Stan, do you have any idea which part number is for which clip?

One of my clips broke: 2 door, pas. side, back clip.

They must have screwed up the part numbers, I just pasted that from the email they sent me.
'622 is $15
'623 is $21
sash is $5
add ~$10 for shipping, and it's not much more to buy a whole new regulator from ebay.
Naturally there aren't any pictures or detailed descriptions on their website.

$51 vs. $62
My guess is it's easier to install a whole new unit than just the clips. From what I gather it looks like you have to remove the whole regulator anyways.

JohnCarrJr
11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I really believe that Grand Ams ship with bad regulator kits in them. I've had 3 go bad in my car, all different windows. First, the drivers side went up, had to replace the entire kit. 2nd the passenger side went up. Now, on that one, I haven't taken the panel off yet. all I know is, my wife said that she can't roll her window up. I pushed the button on the driver's console, heard the motor groan, window kinda went up a little, but made all sorts of strange noises. Tried to go down, it wouldn't, sounded like it was binding up. then I heard a thump inside the door, as if something broke and fell down inside, but the window stayed up, mostly. I had to push it up with my hands and it stayed that way.

Then, this morning, my driver's side rear window decided it didn't want to go up or down. had about 2 inches of the window open. Again, I can push the button and feel the motor 'trying' to move it, but it doesn't budge.

Unfortunately for me, my warranty ended January 01, 2005 (long story).

How will I know if I only need the clips? And if I need the entire regulator for both windows, does anyone know a place where I can get them cheaper than the dealer? A good online source?

stanjk3
11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
AFAIK gmpartsdirect.com is the only place besides the dealer that sells the clips. I was gonna order just the clips, but as you can see in my post above, it's not that much more to just buy a whole new regulator.
If you can hear the motor turning but the window won't move, you probably just need new clips.

IMO they intentionally designed this thing to break easily. Those clips shouldn't be plastic.

JohnCarrJr
11-14-2005, 08:31 AM
I think the whole design of the regulator kits is bad. The cable system just doesn't seem that great. I've gone through 3 of them. And, each time, its NOT the clips. Its the tension on the cables that causes problems. They jump thier grove, or become frayed, or something.

I don't know. Before I removed the door panel to look, I had always assumed that my power windows were controlled by an electronic arm mechanism of some sort, not by a cable system. I guess the cable systems keeps the price down on the car.