1997 Grand Am 2.4 TC Problems!!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Grand Am 2.4 TC Problems!!!!

82-T/A
10-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm really upset with my 1997 Grand Am GT. This has been an ongoing problem now for about 4 months. I've tried to repair this problem, but no matter what I do, I can't fix it.

The problem started when I was driving down the highway. Everything was fine, it was in cruise, everything was normal. All of a sudden, clear out of the blue (I didn't change my speed anything)... the engine started to run "weird"... the car seemed to lose power somewhat, and I was unable to maintain my speed. I was able to cruise at about 45 with the hazards on for about another 5 miles. The engine sounded labored, and it eventually quit. (The check engine light was flashing while this was happening).

I ran the codes on my OBD2 scanner and it said "Multiple Misfires Detected" and that's it, nothing else.

What my car does NOW is this: I start the car, it starts up immediate, no problem. It idles perfectly fine. I can depress the gas (in park) up to about 2,000 rpms and then it starts to hesitate. It'll hesitate soo bad that the engine will eventually start jerking and the motor will die. At this point, it takes me a minute or so of cranking before it will start up again, and then it'll idle fine. It is undriveable over 10 miles an hour.

Now, THIS is what I've replaced so far (Note, these are all AC Delco parts)

1 - Air Filter (AC Delco)
2 - Oil (Castrol 5W-30 Synthetic)
3 - Spark Plugs (AC Delco stock steel tipped)
4 - IDI "2.4 TwinCam" cover, with associated equipment plus spark plug boots.
5 - MAP sensor (and even replaced the vacuum hose going to it)
6 - Fuel Filter (replaced with one from Discount Auto Parts)
7 - Fuel Pressure Regulator on the side of the fuel rail (AC Delco)
8 - New Throttle Position Sensor
9 - Replaced Throttle body (and associated sensors on it). I had one laying around from an old 2.4 TwinCam motor I had from another 96-98 Grand Am that I had. I know they worked when they were pulled.

I'm pretty much at a loss... I can't think of anything else that could be causing it. The car doesn't show any SES codes...

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I speculate that it's the fuel pump, but I don't see how it could be... the car DOES RUN and idle fine... if the fuel pump was bad, would it still be able to idle properly? How difficult is it to replace the fuel pump? Do I have to drop the tank? Where the heck is the tank?

Any help, would grealy be appreciated...

Thanks guys..

82-T/A
10-20-2005, 05:11 AM
No one has any idea? :(