who installed BMM-70255 Trans cooler, I have ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : who installed BMM-70255 Trans cooler, I have ?

The_Wraith
10-25-2005, 06:36 AM
I bought a B&M Trans cooler for my '04 GAGT, BMM-70255, but I need a little help. I have searched and read all the trans cooler post's, but none answered my ???

First, from what I read, I want to use the bottom trans line on the rad. (this is the return line) correct?

2nd, I know you use the zip-tie type things and pass thru the rad., but from looking at this it dosn't look like they will fit into the condenser without messing this up (the black zip-ties are pretty thick), plus how would you get to the back of it to put the other end on? do these need to go thur both the condensor and rad.?

Also for the people that bought a B&M Super cooler, did you put the zip-tie's in the holes in the edge (like in the picutre) or did you still put them thur the fin's?
and does it matter how the cooler is posistioned, can I have it so the line connetors on the cooler point to the pass side, so it will be long-ways up and down?

And the (4) connetors that came with mine (see picture), (2) male and (2) female, I know one of the males goes into the Rad.(look like it would be the bigger of the 2), but does one of the females get hooked to the end of the trans line you remove from the rad., or do you have to just stick the hose over the flare nut and hook it up that way?

To me it looks like I should hook this up on the Pass side since thats where the connections are. but what also concerns me is, if I hook the line to the barb fitting I put into the rad., and then route the hose to the front, that there will be a bend in the hose, that coulde pinch off the flow of fluid.

If someone could send me or post photos of there B&M trans cooler install that would help me a lot...

Kyle
10-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Take a look at this thread http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263&highlight=trans+cooler
When I hooked mine up I did not use the fittings that came with the cooler. Instead I used fuel line spicers and just clamped them to both ends of the hoses the bottom line is the return line. I installed mine vertical but I don't think it matters what way you install it, also when I mounted it I pushed the pins through the fins and cliped it on the other side of the radiator (by the fan)

The_Wraith
10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Take a look at this thread http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263&highlight=trans+cooler
When I hooked mine up I did not use the fittings that came with the cooler. Instead I used fuel line spicers and just clamped them to both ends of the hoses the bottom line is the return line. I installed mine vertical but I don't think it matters what way you install it, also when I mounted it I pushed the pins through the fins and cliped it on the other side of the radiator (by the fan)

Yeah, yours was one of the post I read, but I would rather use the fittings (if I can, I mean the one fitting looks like it would fit screw onto the end of the hose, simulate the rad. conection) and not cut the factory hose...

Pins? you mean the plastic zip-tie type things right? you pushed them thur both the condensor and the rad.?

Malaclypse
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Yes you push the zip-ties through the radiator and condensor and put the clip part on the radiator side.

Don't bother using the compression fittings because you're going to need a tubing cutter and all sorts of other unecessary nonsense. Basically you're going to make your install take you an extra hour or so and there's no point at all.

Go down to the hardware store and get some double-sided hose barbs and just cut the return line and use hose clamps to secure it all. This is how I installed my cooler over 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop.

The_Wraith
10-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes you push the zip-ties through the radiator and condensor and put the clip part on the radiator side.

Don't bother using the compression fittings because you're going to need a tubing cutter and all sorts of other unecessary nonsense. Basically you're going to make your install take you an extra hour or so and there's no point at all.

Go down to the hardware store and get some double-sided hose barbs and just cut the return line and use hose clamps to secure it all. This is how I installed my cooler over 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop.

I don't think the ones that came with my cooler are compression fittings, it looks like the one fitting ( the one in the photo in middle top)would allow the return line to screw right into it. (like it was the rad. fitting)

Kyle
10-25-2005, 06:33 PM
^ Perhaps you will find out if it ever stops raining, its getting cold quick too:rage:

Malaclypse
10-26-2005, 12:28 AM
I doubt B+M included a female/hose-barb fitting with their kit that'd actually fir a FWD GM trans cooler at the radiator. That and piggy-backing the lines at the radiator is going to make for an ugly install.

Are you leasing your car or plan to show it or what? Why are you reluctant to cut the rubber part of the return line?¡

Also, if you're planning on selling the vehicle later, its cheaper to let the car go with the cooler as a selling point than it is to remove it and sell it used on a board. The kit w/ cooler costs only $50 for a 24k GVW unit. Remove that and sell a used trans cooler for... $20 - 30 shipped online? Not worth your time.