I would like to know the proper way to store. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I would like to know the proper way to store.

chevy355blazer
10-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey just wondeirng the proper way to store a car for the winter. Raise the car keep it onthe ground, what to put in the gas tank, motor, interior, what to prep the paint for. Stuff like that i searched and could not find anything. What to buy. Just some little ideas on what to do.

RamAirGT22
10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Try a search, there was a big thread on this a few months ago.

eric99gt
10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
all I do is throw some gas saver in the tank and put it up on jack stands. Also disconnect the battery. That's about it.

RamAirGT22
10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54978&highlight=storage

freakydeaky
10-31-2005, 09:24 AM
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/winter.html

DrFabulous
10-31-2005, 10:41 AM
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/winter.html

^^ Everything ya pretty much need. I stored mine last winter in a fashion similar to that last year, came out in the spring like a brand new car.

coupe
10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Just stored mine for good last night. Ive got pics and was/am going to start a thread on it. I didnt do half the things that site says to do. I am going to start it every couple of weeks to save the battery.

DrFabulous
10-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Just stored mine for good last night. Ive got pics and was/am going to start a thread on it. I didnt do half the things that site says to do. I am going to start it every couple of weeks to save the battery.

I go and start mine every time I go home, and have someone else do it if I am not home for a while. I don't think it ever went more than a month without running for 15-20 mins.

coupe
10-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Yup yup. I cant smoke in my freinds house (where im storing the car, 2 stall garage that she does not use at all, completely empty) so everytime i go out to smoke i start it and let it run to operating temp. The rims and tires i put in garbage bags and slid under the car. I filled the tank and put in stabil then drove it for awhile (so it would get stirred up nicely). All i have left to do is get some moth balls and decon. I dont have a car cover yet and probably wont this year. I did wash and wax the sh!t out of it, including door jams, under the hood, all the chrome parts, you name it and its cleaner than it was brand new, well it always is, obvious if you look in my cardomain.

DrFabulous
10-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Yea, mine is parked in a barn, actually. The barn is just used for storing boats/cars though... it's an enclosed building with a dirt floor, better than sitting outside I figure. I put it up on blocks, put a big piece of tarp under it, and a cloth cover over the whole thing. It sucks to get to when I have to start it up, but it's better than having something happen to the paint.

coupe
10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey man that works, better than it sitting outside.

DrFabulous
10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
It sure does. Except that I don't think my Corsica is going to make it much longer, so I might need to brake it out in the middle of winter.

Jeremy
11-01-2005, 09:36 AM
All i have left to do is get some moth balls and decon.

I'm sure that will smell lovely in the spring. Try using dryer sheets instead. I also put a small tub of Damp Rid in the camper to keep the moisture out of the camper (not sure if that's really necessary for the car though). That's what I did when I winterized my camper. Unless you like the smell of mothballs.

coupe
11-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I didnt think of that i guess, ill try that instead. The moisture im not to worried about, michigan winters are so dry anyway. But to be cautious what is Damp Rid and where can i find it?