Borla Cat Back vs High Performance Muffler [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Borla Cat Back vs High Performance Muffler

golddbz2000
11-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi all. I would like to install a Borla cat back exhaust system for my car. But I've been told I should save my money and just install a high performance muffler for my car; the cat back wouldnt give any additional power/oomph and it might even choke some of the horsepower due to the car not being "designed" for a cat back. What do you think and what are the differences between the two (advantages/disadvantages)?

Also, if I got the borla cat back, should I go ahead and get a High flo cat converter and install as well? thanks for your help!

GlisteningWhite
11-04-2005, 10:21 PM
borla if you have the $$$

02andahalfgt
11-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the site. Use the search feature, this topic has been covered many times in the 'All Go' section.

atc3434
11-05-2005, 12:31 AM
SLP offers the best sound/performance/price in my opinion. It might be a tad loud for some, but I don't feel its that offensive at all. If you've got money to burn, a highflow cat can't hurt either. And the Grand Am responds well to 2.5" piping, as opposed to the stock stuff.

pontiacman99
11-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Who ever told you the borla catback chokes power away from your car doesn't know anything about cars how could a larger diameter pipe and a more free flowing muffler choke your car it does just the opposite of what they told it adds power and gives your car a nice low rumble that isn't to loud if your looking for volume I would go with the slp from what I hear it is louder but if you just want a better sound thats not to loud then I would go with borla I have it and it gave me noticable gains and all of my frineds say it sounds really good

golddbz2000
11-05-2005, 10:53 PM
thanks guys. I would love to buy a borla right now and I got the money, BUT I am about to get married in 4 months and buy a house at the same time! sheesh.

Hopefully, borla will be wrapped up in a birthday present or something come july.

02andahalfgt
11-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Who ever told you the borla catback chokes power away from your car doesn't know anything about cars how could a larger diameter pipe and a more free flowing muffler choke your car it does just the opposite of what they told it adds power and gives your car a nice low rumble that isn't to loud if your looking for volume I would go with the slp from what I hear it is louder but if you just want a better sound thats not to loud then I would go with borla I have it and it gave me noticable gains and all of my frineds say it sounds really good

Whoever told him that wasn't completely wrong, probably just didn't know about his car/engine. If you put pipes that are too big on the car it will take away power instead of adding. 2.5" is about the max for a GA.

pontiacman99
11-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Yeah I guess your right I was a little harsh my bad I partially retract my previous statement:smack:

Metallman56
11-08-2005, 08:53 PM
i have borla and love it. and i agree you need backpressure if you dont have boost.

atc3434
11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
i have borla and love it. and i agree you need backpressure if you dont have boost.

NO! You need scavenging and exhaust velocity, backpressure doesn't create either of these. Backpressure is never useful in a 4-stroke engine. (2-stroke engines, use backpressure waves carefully timed to get maximum fuel into the combustion chamber.)

Metallman56
11-09-2005, 03:14 PM
ok buddy whatever you say.

Joker694
11-09-2005, 03:41 PM
ok buddy whatever you say.

:iconfused

Care to explain how backpressure is good then because this is news to me

elim
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
If you don't have serious performance mods done to your car, 2.5" piping is probably a little big. 2.25" should do the trick if all you have is like an intake.

atc3434
11-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Yea, I'm also curious as the the way backpressure helps a 4-stroke automobile engine. Please explain.

Metallman56
11-15-2005, 04:39 PM
it is, to my understanding, that back pressure helps the engine run better. i am not machanic, but if you take away the back pressure to a car and its not boosted, it will run like sh*t and you will loose power.

atc3434
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
it is, to my understanding, that back pressure helps the engine run better. i am not machanic, but if you take away the back pressure to a car and its not boosted, it will run like sh*t and you will loose power.

Your understanding is wrong. Explain you logic, or accept logic that actually makes sense. Try this reading, you'll have a much better understanding of scavenging, and why you need the right size piping for that effect. Back pressure is never good, but if you don't have the right sized piping, you won't get scavenging, which is also not good. Read: http://www.rumodded.com/warmonger/int_exh.htm

atc3434
11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Dude, did you read the link you posted for me to look at, because I just did, and it agrees with everything I've said, and the information I gave you to look at. At no time does any type of BACKPRESSURE help increase power. You want scavenging, not backpressure. You need the right sized piping to make optimal power. Some times, people use too big of piping, resulting in lowend torque loss. This isn't because there isn't enough backpressure, its because the larger diameter piping doesn't build velocity and scavenging at lower rpms. This larger piping can support much higher rpms, but often isn't paired with the right type of cam, resulting in a loss of power. This is not attributed to backpressure. Backpressure is never helpful in a 4 stroke engine.

Jason E
11-17-2005, 07:19 AM
All I will say is that on my old '02 GA GT, I had an SLP on it for ONE DAY, and ripped it back off. When SLP tells you that its "aggressive," believe them. When they say "but not significantly louder than stock," tell the sales associate to go screw himself...because he sure screwed me. The car wouldn't pass for a sticker in MA...not even close. And yet, the SLP on my Z28 has passed 4 years in a row, with no issues...

It was so loud, and had such a drone at 75, my A Pillar trim rattled...on this with a car with 17k on it!!!! Go Borla, or forget it IMO...