melted battery terminal...plz help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : melted battery terminal...plz help

badboy2451
11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
so my lil brother called me today complaining that my moms car wouldn't start. i go over to see if i can figure out what the problem was, and pop the hood and see some yellow stuff (acid??) leaking outta the power terminal of the battery. after seeing this and hearing a sizzling sound, i go to take the terminal off and realize that it is sort of just sitting on the battery and melted on, and i just pulled it right off

i read a thread about amraam's SC melting the terminal, but this is an 03 grand prix gt without a SC...there was a big lightning storm here around the time, so maybe the car was hit by lightning and it melted it or something, i asked my brothers and he doesn't know since he is not the smartest when it comes to cars

someone please help so i can get this fixed before dark

Ajaxus
11-06-2005, 02:13 PM
easy enough, i had something similar happen a few months ago when both of my terminals corroded off. just go get a new battery and hook it up.

iceman
11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Yep new battery, replace the terminal on the car too if you ahve to -- easy enough, you just clip the wires, strip them, and bolt on the replacement terminal.

Malaclypse
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
YOu can get the melted terminal off.. and its likely that your battery cable is just fine. Get a pair of vise grips and a battery wrench. You can figure it out from there.

If its a Delco battery the acid leakage is very common... terminals don't always pop off like that but its more common than a lock cylinder issue. =p

digitalballz
11-06-2005, 03:50 PM
yeah what they said. shouldnt be too hard or time consuming!

badboy2451
11-06-2005, 08:15 PM
thanks for the help guys, it was a lot easier than i thought it would be...looked more complex than it really was

it was the stock ac delco battery and the guy said thatit was pretty common too, so atleast it dint happen while he was driven. no problems with the terminal, just unscrewed the melted part off and put the new battery in