AT fluid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : AT fluid

Metallman56
11-08-2005, 05:00 PM
i have a 2001 gagt with a automatic. 50,000 miles are coming up soon and i will need a trany fluid change. i have 2 questions:

1. how many quarts of atf do i need?

2. how do i check the fluid level when i am done without a dipstick?

if this was posted before i did not see it, so any help would be useful. also were do i get a new filter? thanks guys!

digitalballz
11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
how many quarts?? depends on if you do a complete swap, or a partial swap. I dont know the exact for either so I couldnt tell you.

How to check fluid level?? this is fun. ok after you drop the pan to drain the fluid, and change the filter, make sure to clean all the metal fillings from the pan. once you put the pan back into place, id say add maybe a quart or 2. Then you have to find the plug on the side of the trans. If your underneath the car its on the passengers side of the trans. Take out said plug, and start car. Then you continue to fill up your tranny untill it starts to leak out from that hole. replace plug and your done! SIMPLE!!

As for the filter any parts store should carry it.

Eassier to have a shop do it. Unless you have access to a lift for your car.

DevilSlayer
11-08-2005, 09:23 PM
A partial flush, as in just the tranny pan, is 6 quarts I believe. A full, complete transmission system flush is 16 quarts. Def fill with any kind of synthetic fluid, I like Royal Purple Max ATF. To do a complete system flush requires some specialized equipment, I think. Filters are easily obtained. Might also want to think about getting a tranny cooler to extend the life of the tranny.

Metallman56
11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
yes i have been thinking about a tranny cooler. and you read my mind with the royal purple. 16 quarts! WOW! i was expecting like 7 at most. goes to show how much i know about a trany. okay well thanks guys i will check this often until someone can give me a definate answer. i have to order the royal purple, so i dont want to over or under order.
thanks again

DevilSlayer
11-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Don't worry, it is def 16 quarts, this I know this for a fact. I asked the guy at my local shop what it was for a full flush and he said 16 quarts. You def want to do a full flush especially if you're switching fluids. Might be a little more then 16 quarts if you add the tranny cooler.

Metallman56
11-09-2005, 04:12 PM
thanks man

Ceejj
03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
whats a tranny cooler? price? installationd difficulty?

iceman
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
search, many good threads even w/ pics