Car dies - new alternator? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car dies - new alternator?

AznGA
11-09-2005, 09:30 AM
My car dies. During idle, the RPM jumps up and down, going down to as low as below 500 RPM. Transmission shifts wierd. The tranny line pressure is jacked up, throwing the SES light.

I got the battery checked, and it's fine. Does my car with 84k miles need a new alternator? What else could I check?

atc3434
11-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Tranny and idle probably are not related to a problem with the altenator. First step, get that SES read. No sense in taking random guess at it when the comptuer is trying to tell you whats wrong. Jumpy idle, weird shifting, that all points to a sensor like problem, MAF, TPS, MAP, etc. If the alternator was going, you'd be throwing a low voltage light, and you defintely wouldn't be able to start the car on its own power if it didn't have enough power to stay running. I'd say that alternator isn't a concern. I've found most go 100k+, I got 200k out of one on a previous car. Get the code read, and get on a scan tool to figure out whats going on.

iceman
11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
:banghead there's an SES for a reason.. no need to guess. get it read.

Braves299
11-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Well the alternator can make your car throw all kinds of lights, but that doesn't sound like symptoms of a bad alternator. Get that code read and go from there.

AznGA
11-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Well I got the code read. There is a problem with the MAF. Does it mean the sensor is bad?

Kdawg207
11-11-2005, 12:10 PM
sounds like it to me
get an oem maf on ebay....i did once

coupe
11-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Well im sure its not the alt. but mine died at 70K almost on the dot. It didnt throw any lights though other than the battery.

atc3434
11-11-2005, 11:21 PM
I called that MAF in my first reply. Get an OEM replacement, bout 100 bucks. You'll probably re-fall in love with the car.

AznGA
11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Well the code was related to MAF, so I got a new(remanufactured) MAF sensor and installed it today, along with a new IAT sensor. Didn't fix a damn thing. I noticed my MAF screen was damaged, so I want to say that I didn't totally waste money on that. IAT sensor was only $10.

Still same damn problem. The car starts by itself fine, but RPM's jump up and down during idle, and the lights dim. Transmission shifts hard.

Last time, I got the code read at a dealer for free, but it's going back so they can actually look at it.

Any ideas though?

Panacea
11-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Did you reset your PCM after you reinstalled the MAF?

AznGA
11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
No I did not. I was thinking about that, but atc3434 told me his car went right back to normal as soon as he put a new one in.

NorKoastal
11-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I smell a vaccum leak somewhere...

Panacea
11-14-2005, 10:51 PM
No I did not. I was thinking about that, but atc3434 told me his car went right back to normal as soon as he put a new one in.

Well, try it anyway. Just cause it worked for one person, doesn't mean it will work for another. Remove all doubt, first.

atc3434
11-15-2005, 01:50 AM
I smell a vaccum leak somewhere...

For what its worth, I had a pretty decent vaccum leak after I did my headers and didn't plug in the rear valve cover breather, and it certainly gave me a bouncy idle. But I didn't have any stalling problems, or driveability problems other than a slight throttle hang. The transmission acted completely normal, and I didn't throw any codes.

I talked some more with AznGA tonight on AIM, and he mention that he may have hurt his MAF wiring at one point doing some intake installation. He still has the MAF trouble code even with the new MAF, so I'm willing to be his problem is with that wiring. I told him to go ahead and disconnect the maf, unplug it, and note the changes, if any. Obviously, if nothing changes, you've got some bad wiring. I also told him to get a scan tool, and do this the easy way. You can chase a problem all day, or just get a scantool and pinpoint it pretty darn quick.

AznGA
11-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Well I was finally able to get a scanner today so I scanned it myself. P0102(MAF and low voltage). I also drove the car with the MAF harness unplugged. Things are narrowed down now. I think it's the harness since I just got a new MAF sensor.

AznGA
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
UPDATE:

Took my car to a dealer today. It was the whole harness that goes out and plugs on to the IAT sensor and the MAF sensor. I remember when I had WAI, I kinda had to pull on it because the pipe was longer than the stock airbox rubber tube. The CAI I have right now didn't require me to pull out the harness that much, but I think it got damaged over time because the entire WAI was basically hanging on the harness. It cost me about $120 for parts and labor. I really didn't want to mess with wires myself. The technician wasn't willing to touch my car because of the intake, but my car was already out of warranty and the service writer, who is a good friend of mine, did a good job explaning to him how that had nothing to do with it. My car drives fine now. No more SES light, no more rough shifting.

I like to thank atc3434 who pointed me to the right direction.

Exodus
11-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I say time for a new car

AznGA
11-16-2005, 01:52 PM
I say time for a new car
Did you even read the entire thread? What kind of a person with a brain gets a new car just because there is a problem with a harness? Thanks. My car runs as good as new now. :rolleyes:

Exodus
11-16-2005, 02:13 PM
listen YUN, your welcome, anytime.:loser

atc3434
11-16-2005, 03:52 PM
No prob, Yun, glad to hear things are up and running well again. Now you can enjoy the car instead of dreading it.

UPDATE:

Took my car to a dealer today. It was the whole harness that goes out and plugs on to the IAT sensor and the MAF sensor. I remember when I had WAI, I kinda had to pull on it because the pipe was longer than the stock airbox rubber tube. The CAI I have right now didn't require me to pull out the harness that much, but I think it got damaged over time because the entire WAI was basically hanging on the harness. It cost me about $120 for parts and labor. I really didn't want to mess with wires myself. The technician wasn't willing to touch my car because of the intake, but my car was already out of warranty and the service writer, who is a good friend of mine, did a good job explaning to him how that had nothing to do with it. My car drives fine now. No more SES light, no more rough shifting.

I like to thank atc3434 who pointed me to the right direction.