Cruise Control not working (bad wiring?), need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control not working (bad wiring?), need help

harvester45
11-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Before I start I want to say, yes, I did search, and no, I didn't find anything which is helpful for my situation.

My cruise control has been working sporadically for about 6 months, not that big of a deal, because most of the time it did work. I thought that it was a loose wire, and made sure all of the fuses were in the box securely. Then a month or two ago it stopped working altogether, and jiggleing my faulty wiring does nothing (I had a wiring problem with my dome light, and thought that it might be similar).

The button to turn cruise on/off works (lights up), but when I go to set it, "cruise" never lights on my guages, and cruise doesn't engage. I have checked all of my fuses, and have looked for disconnected wires, all I've found is one on the drive's side that looks like it was never hooked up to anything (I think it's red or brown, and it looks like a clean cut with no wire exposed).

I can't figure it out, but I think that it's a disconnected wire, and I was wondering if anybody could verify this. If so, what do I do? Does anyone have the locations of the cruise wires, because I can't tell one from another. Any help would be great. Thanks,

Harvey

andrewe77
11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
There's a switch down at the brake pedal that disengages the cruise control when you brake. It may be stuck or defective thereby causing the cruise system to think you're pressing the brake all the time.

harvester45
11-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks a lot, I'll check that out sometime tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Harvey

freakydeaky
11-10-2005, 09:27 AM
try holding in the on/off button while engaging cruise.... if your cruise then works you need a new cruise switch....
w/o accessory control ... #22608615
w/ accessory control .... #88987045

harvester45
11-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Ok, I tried both ideas (the on/off switch isn't broken, it catches and lights up, but I tried holding it in anyway), but I didn't have success. There were two buttons down by the brake pedal, and I found the one didn't control the park disengage/brake lights, which I assume opperates the cruise control. I unhooked the wires from the switch, and hooked up my own switch, just to see if the button was broken. The "cruise" light never came on, and cruise never engaged. I'm thinking it's a wire problem, but I have no idea where they go after the button (they go into the steering column, but I'd hate to have to take that all off again, and test/trace every wire individually). If there aren't any more possibilities and I have to end up doing that, ok, but I was just wondering if it could be anything else. Thanks for any help.

Harvey