Are these good replacement tires?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Are these good replacement tires??

BadGT471
11-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok, I need to get some replacement tires on my 02 Pontiac Grand Am GT. I have 45K miles and I am still running the stock RSA's. Unfortunately, I am getting this awful sound at low speed, I guess the RSA's are wearing out and theres a TSB for this issue. Anyway's, I am leaning towards these Michelins. I live in IL and need a good performance all season tire - rain, snow, etc. What do you alll think of these? Will they be sufficient? Please help me out!

Jeff

Heres a link to the thinks I'm talking about

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...re1=yes&place=2

BadGT471
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
heres another link, the other one didn't work, sorry..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=25YR6SPORTAS&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

digitalballz
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
should be a good tire for you. Go for it!!

mr03SCT
11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
heres another link, the other one didn't work, sorry..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=25YR6SPORTAS&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

go with the goodyear tripletreds...u will not be dissappointed...thats what i have on mine now....i have driven close to 60 000kms and they have only worn out 2/32"....not too mention they handle amazing in snow, water and dry....million times better then the stock RSA.

Ajaxus
11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Trust the Michelin Man!

99GAGTX
11-10-2005, 08:34 PM
I put BF Goodrich Traction TA's on my GAGT, and I'm not impressed. They're about the same traction as the original RSA's in all weather conditions. Only difference I noticed was the lack of that annoying noise at low speeds. The dealer told me about the TSB too late to do anything about it. They had been making the noise since new, but the dealer told me I was imagining things. About the time the tires were pretty well worn out, THEN they told me about it ("Oh by the way...").

A reputable tire dealer in my area told me when I was buying the Traction TA's, that Goodyear had an issue with how they made the bead on the RSA's. He said he had a lot of complaints from people with RSA's about the noise. He claims the noise we're hearing was the bead of the tire flexing on the rim.

My dad has Michelin's on his Buick, and he likes them. He says they have a much softer ride than other tires. Food for thought.

02andahalfgt
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
go with the goodyear tripletreds...u will not be dissappointed...thats what i have on mine now....i have driven close to 60 000kms and they have only worn out 2/32"....not too mention they handle amazing in snow, water and dry....million times better then the stock RSA.

I just got those put on my car and I second everything he said (except snow, won't know about that for a couple months). But the ride and handling is so much better than the RSA's.

Malaclypse
11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I went through a set of michelins in 15k miles... Never again will I pay that much for a non-performance tire that doesn't last for ****.

Roush GT
11-11-2005, 05:24 PM
wrong section.. i know you like to post in this section for some reason.

eaglesrealm
11-15-2005, 08:31 PM

A little late, but I'm with you mr03SCT. Although I HATED the RSA's, I moved up to the GoodYear Triple Treads and am happy with performance, feel, traction in multiple situations, etc. Nice tires.

Braves299
11-15-2005, 08:44 PM
In my opinion, you really can't beat michelins. They are expensive, but if you have the money, go for it. You shouldn't be dissappointed at all.

Jason E
11-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Bridgestone Potenza G009. Can't beat them for the $$. Way better than RSAs. I wish we had put them on the '99, but the fiance cheaped out and put Firestone Affinity LH30s on it. Nice tires, super quiet...but they handle about as well as the GP's snow tires :D

If you can swing them, I'd go for the Continental ContiTouring Contact CV95s, if they make them in your size. I have them in a 225/55/VR17 on my car, and they're phenomenal. After 10k (without even rotating them!!), they're as quiet as new, handle great, and are awesome in the rain. But, they ain't cheap. I got mine on close out for $79ea...the list was $169!!!! If they make them in your size, and the price is decent, I highly recommend them...

mshu7
11-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Check this out: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS