Transmission service [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission service

forcedairGT1
11-12-2005, 09:00 AM
I need to know how much torque to use on the pan bolts.The manual says 108 inch pounds but my wrench reads in foot pounds.

andrewe77
11-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Um... Maybe you could divide by 12?

Molson
11-12-2005, 11:01 AM
108 inch pounds = 9 foot pounds

andrewe77
11-12-2005, 11:07 AM
In all seriousness, if you don't know how to convert from inches to feet you probably shouldn't even be working on your car. Applying improper torque can really screw things up. Take it to a mechanic.

digitalballz
11-12-2005, 12:32 PM
yeah cuz a mechanic is gonna waste time using the proper torque.... right. I know at our shop, and every mechanic I ever knew never use a torque wrench on a tranny pan. I knew guys that wouldnt even use a torque ratchet on heads or anything like that. I would use it on that type of work, but they never had any problems.

andrewe77
11-13-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah cuz a mechanic is gonna waste time using the proper torque.... right. I know at our shop, and every mechanic I ever knew never use a torque wrench on a tranny pan. I knew guys that wouldnt even use a torque ratchet on heads or anything like that. I would use it on that type of work, but they never had any problems.

They won't be off by a factor of 12. By the way, where do you work so I can avoid ever going there. Not torquing heads is rediculous.

magyver
11-13-2005, 08:53 PM
i dont torgue anything.. put it on, drive it out... ive swapped 4 s-10 motors and two jeep motors, all lasting over 200K.. luckey?

as for your question, how long did it take ya to change your filter/fluid?

forcedairGT1
11-14-2005, 04:54 AM
I changed the fluid and filter Saturday.It would have taken less than 2 hours but I realized the car had been bottomed out and there is a small crack in the transmission housing.When I took the bolts out it disturbed the sealer and caused a leak.I had to redrain the fluid,clean out all of the liquid gasket material and fix the crack.I used some kind of liquid steel and it worked great.All in all it took about 4 hours and I didnt use a torque wrench.

The_Wraith
11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
108 inch pounds = 9 foot pounds

Can I ass-soom, 108" pounds would be the same spec for a 2004 GAGT (well mine was made in 5/2003, but it's a 2004)

I'm getting ready to do mine and just want to make sure, since they don't have a Haynes book out for my year yet...

Is the gasket re-usable?

coupe
11-14-2005, 12:29 PM
In all seriousness, if you don't know how to convert from inches to feet you probably shouldn't even be working on your car. Applying improper torque can really screw things up. Take it to a mechanic.

Mechanics use torque wrenches lol yeah OK dude