Q about installing struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Q about installing struts

Firsty1
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
My front drivers-side strut recently broke on my '00 Grand Am... Still under warranty the dealership said it'll be $500- I took my keys back and got out of there in a fast way. I decided to take on the task myself, but I've never cahnged struts before, anyone have some advice? Special tools I may need, or I read something about spring clamps but it never said if you will actually need them. I am going to try to use the "Haynes" manual and do this successfully, but if you have any advice/tips or any of the great advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

mshu7
11-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Personally, I'd leave that to a mechanic unless you feel comfortable doing it. I about all my own work on my car but I'd leave that to an "expert". Just depends on how car savvy you are I guess.

Slim
11-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Changing a strut is cake. The Haynes manual is a good help.

Tools you'll need:

Jack and axle stands
Breaker bar - to losen the lower strut bolts
Socket/rachet set
Spring compressor

That's about it. It's easier to do if you have a friend to help, but it's possible to do it yourself.

The toughest part is getting the nut off the top of the strut. I just used my huge channel lock pliers to hold the bottom part of the bearing plate and then remove the nut with my rachet.

1hotgagt
11-17-2005, 09:55 AM
make sure you have the spring completely compressed and make sure the spring clamp is on good and tight, then its cake work after that just use your socket wrench to loosenn the nut on the top slide the strut out and reverse everything. llitte tip before you pull the strut out get one of those gauges that are used to see if rear ends are at zero degrees and attach it to your rotor to find degrees and when you reinstall the new strut try to get the same as it was before you took it off so it wont be to far off alignment.