Tranny filter price $$$ [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny filter price $$$

The_Wraith
11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Man, I just called a local Pontiac dealer, for a price for a Trans filter for my '04 GAGT, it was $39.35.... That sounds high to me... I asked if it came with the gasket and he said yes.... I just can't under stand why that filter would cost so much...

I looked up one online @ advaceautoparts and was less then that, but it was some strange brand...
I figured I would get the Ac-delco one from a dealer to be safe... but man...

This thanksgiving weekend, I want to drop my pan and change the filter and fill it up with Mobil 1 ATF (I know I'm not going to get it all out) (I almost have 30k on it) but I figure I just do this once a year...

btw, just a thought, if I unhooked the line that fluid flows from the tranny to the rad cooler @ the rad end, and put a hand siphone pump on it... whould that suck any fluid out? was just wondering..

also, anyone have picture of the plug you have to remove, to see when it's full? I want to make sure I pull the right plug...

And about how long do you think I should like it run to get the fulid hot, (since I belive you have to have it hot and running, and the fluid should come out that plug hole when it's full.

And would I be safe to pour in 5-6qts before I start it (want to make sure it has enough fluid, while I'm waiting for it to get hot)???

Mike Jung
11-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Go look-up a local authorized AC Delco wholesaler that will sell to the public.

Garages & mechanics usually go to these before going to a GM dealer, because it is cheaper.

(Sometimes the authorized AC Delco wholesaler does not carry all items, & some items are dealer available only.)

The_Wraith
11-17-2005, 06:30 AM
I was also thinking, is it a straight shot from the fill cap opening to the bottom of the Trans pan? If it is, I could also use a siphon pump.
Anybody know?

mshu7
11-17-2005, 07:50 AM
I did a trans pan drop about a month ago. I actually got out almost 8qts. I believe it holds ~9qts. if I remember correctly. This is actually a pretty easy job. I thought it would be harder than it was. It is a little messy but if you're careful when you drop the pan it's not too bad. If you just do a pan drop & change the filter every 30K or so you won't need to ever flush it. And you'll save a lot of dough that way too.

The_Wraith
11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
what filter did u buy? Did u get the AC-delco from the dealer? The dealer I called wanted 39.xx.

Autozone & Advance only have some generic brands... for half that, but I hate to use them... I guess I will have to buy the dealer one...

also, did yours come with a new gasket or were you able to reuse the old one?

mshu7
11-17-2005, 01:39 PM
I got mine from Napa. They have a kit that comes with the filter and rubber gasket. I forget how much it was but $40 sounds about right. I did NOT re-use the old gasket.

If you think about it, $40 worth of parts over 30K (minimum) isn't that bad. You pay way more if for oil changes in that amount of miles (well, some people do anyway). Napa is a little on the expensive side but I trust their stuff and I also have a buddy that works there who gives me some deals every once in a while so that helps too!

I wouldn't hesitate to just get the AC-Delco one. You might check out www.gmpartsdirect.com and see if they have it listed there. If it's on there, I'm sure it's cheaper than going through the dealer.

Edit: I just remembered that you're wanting to use Mobil1 ATF....so yeah that would get expensive. I want to say the Mobil1 ATF is like $6-7 a quart so you're lookin at like almost $60 in fluid and $40 for parts. Personally, I'd just run convential ATF for 30K and then do a pan drop and filter change. That will keep the fluid pretty fresh considering GM only reccommends 100K service intervals for it.

mshu7
11-17-2005, 01:48 PM
One more thing...

When you go to do this, if you drop one side of the pan slowly it helps a lot. Our trans pan is somewhat shaped like an "L" so I just worked my way around all the bolts once to loosen them up, then went back and took out one side so it could all drain in one direction and not all over the place.

Also, when you go to pull out the filter, make sure your head isn't underneath. I almost got a face full of fluid b/c I had my head under there pretty close. Luckily I had a quick enough reaction to get out of the way.

Like I said, it's kind of a messy job but if you're careful it's not too bad.

Oh, and make sure to lube the gasket (both sides) with some fresh motor oil. This will help for future pan drops.

The_Wraith
11-17-2005, 01:52 PM
The Mobil 1 ATF is about $5.xx a qt, I have 3-or 4 already left over from my wifes '97 explorer when I changed that...

Yeah, I'll just buy the dealer AC-Delco, ( I wanted to use AC-Delco, just didn't want to spend that much...

I did check out gmpartsdirect.com, and it was a lot cheaper $25.00, but they want almost $10.00 to ship it... so it's not worth it, I'll just stop by the dealer and pick one up... (damn shipping, gets u everytime!!!!)

mshu7
11-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Ok, this is my last post for now...I sware...LOL.

Check out this website: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

It's mainly dedicated to auto lubrication (oil, trans fluid, etc.), but there a lot of other good info on there too. Check it out - you won't be disappointed!

mshu7
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
The Mobil 1 ATF is about $5.xx a qt, I have 3-or 4 already left over from my wifes '97 explorer when I changed that...

Yeah, I'll just buy the dealer AC-Delco, ( I wanted to use AC-Delco, just didn't want to spend that much...

I did check out gmpartsdirect.com, and it was a lot cheaper $25.00, but they want almost $10.00 to ship it... so it's not worth it, I'll just stop by the dealer and pick one up... (damn shipping, gets u everytime!!!!)

OK, the fluid is cheaper than I thought...that works out good. Good luck with it all!